Really need advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
O.k so I got some tiger barbs, one of which had ich. I didn't notice this until he was in my tank (I don't have a second tank at the moment So I couldn't quarantine). Anyway long story short My tank has ich and After searching everywhere I got a lfs to order the Red tailed shark I wanted (last fish I plan on adding to my aquarium) and they get it tomorrow.

Do I buy the fish and just treat the tank with him in there or do I wait until I get rid of the ich to get him?

I really bugged the store to get them to order it and it would be kind of lame to them if i didn't buy it not to mention they might all be sold before I get my tank ich-free.

Would It be o.k to get him?

PS- My Heater doesn't bring my tank passed 72-74 So I cant really raise the temperature and I have a pictus catfish in the tank So are there any special precautions I should take when treating this ich?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
What size of tank and what are all the inhabitants?

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
What size of tank and what are all the inhabitants?
4 tiger barbs 4 white skirt tetras and one pictus (about 3 inches) in a 29 g for now but I should have the 55 gallon in a few weeks and since all the fish are still young/small I don't think I have a stocking issue in the 29g atm. Plenty of hiding places ect But like I said I'll have the 55 gallon very soon and I don't plan on adding many if any fish to the 55 after I have the rts.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
If you are going to a 55 (for sure), I'd actually suggest that you add 4 of each to the barbs and tetras (gradually and only after the tank is cycled). The Pictus may not belong. I've not kept them so I'd wait for other input, but from my understanding they get fairly large and are better in groups. I doubt they'd be a good mix with an RTS.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Why not have them hold it for you? Another option is to call them, explain the situation, and ask them what you should do. If they say take him, you know not to work with them again.
What type of heater is it? I don't know much about them, but the fact that it doesn't doesn't seem like a good sign. I think stealth is the best (I think, I think.)

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
From everything I've read they only get to about 5-6 inches. If he doesn't get along with the RTS I'll get rid of him, but I really do like him.

Anyone have advice on the ich situation?

@Vamp it came packed in with my aquarium so I'm not sure of the brand but its 120v. too weak?

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Why not have them hold it for you? Another option is to call them, explain the situation, and ask them what you should do. If they say take him, you know not to work with them again.
Holding a single fish is tough to do for an LFS from a business perspective. If they're willing to, kudos to them. But if they say "take him", I wouldn't curse them for fulfilling a special order and requiring the buyer to meet their obligation.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
From everything I've read they only get to about 5-6 inches. If he doesn't get along with the RTS I'll get rid of him, but I really do like him.

Anyone have advice on the ich situation?
Oops... forgot about the Ich. lol

Regardless, the entire tank will need to be treated. If you can't upgrade to a heater that will reach 82 - 86, look into meds.

Zr0

AC Members
Mar 29, 2008
Plan on getting whatever meds I can get tomorrow when I visit the pet store but I don't know if its fair to the fish to bring him home.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Plan on getting whatever meds I can get tomorrow when I visit the pet store but I don't know if its fair to the fish to bring him home.
That will depend on the store and the employees. If they"ll hold it for a week or two let them while you treat (pre-paying may be a good idea for them to keep it and know you really want the fish). It's really all up to the store, the employees, and your interaction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store