How to clean a frog tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Hello again, guys! I just wanted to share my method of cleaning my frog tank and see if someone had any better ideas. I generally use a sponge and scrub the entire tank with boiling water. I use another pot to soak the decorations in for a moment. The tank gets boiling water poured over it. I then dry everything off with paper towels. This happens monthly, when I remove his moss and replace it. Does this sound like a good cleaning procedure? Thanks!
Here is a picture of his latest setup(A 28 gal rubbermaid I change around every cleaning):

b19fish

AC Members
Aug 20, 2007
Maui
Sounds good to me i do the same for my frogs in there 30 gallon

what kind of frogs do u have anyway

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
You use the same method that I am for cleaning my pacmans tank except you boil the water and when I turn the sink on straight hot its like its already boiling. On a side note how hard are whites to take care of and about how big do they get I have seen some fairly large ones and I have been thinking about getting one of them.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Females get to five inches, and are the ones that really need a 30 gallon. Males are smaller-I forget how much off the top of my head, but at least an inch smaller. Mine( an adorable male) is not very big-3 or 4 inches. To get an idea of his size, you'll notice in the back left hand corner some blue, that's his urn. He sits on the urn with room to spare.
They are often recommended as beginner frogs:). Just a note on the temperature-most of the sources I heard at first said to let the temp hit 85, others say 81. I get the feeling it is individual frog preference, and mine likes 81.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
so this tank setup it a rummermaid tub with a light and some decor??
wow that seems so simple and easy
i hear that they are very ppl friendly, like you can take him out and hold him is this tru?

and how do you see through the lid of the tub?

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Whoops! never saw these responses, lol. They are very people friendly. I can take mine out and he will just go to sleep for a while and then attempt to jump somewhere(last time he jumped on my face, lol). However, frogs breathe and absorb things through their skin. While White's skin has been reputed to have antibiotic properties human sweat is toxic to them, as is most of the other things we put on our hands. Refraining from holding them very often is a good idea. Latex gloves are recommended for handling, but handwashing is, of course, a must.

Yes, it is a rubbermaid tub with a light. Mine does not enjoy high lighting, so I use a blacklight. I also use a medical heat pad, the type usually used to relieve pain, as a heating pad underneath it.

The setup, while decorative on the inside, does not allow for much visibility :). I usually have to open it if I want to see him when he is far away from the sides. I don't open it very often, of course. This setup is also designed to be easy to move back and forth, as if I am gone for a week back home, he still needs water changes. However, frogs have been known to not get the concept of glass, continuously ramming themselves against it. The walls provide extra stress relief for him.

The rubbermaid cost $16, The decor around $60-$70 not including substrate, which costs $2.99 per bag. However, I have noticed the big chains trying to rip off customers by selling for $7.99 a bag.

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Looks great. :) You could always cut out a window and use aquarium silicon to attach some clear plexi glass to the lid. How about some pics of him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store