Freebie But Can I Make This My First Marine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
I have always had F/W tanks..... But would dearly love to have a Marine Tank and this was 'donated' to me today....

Is there a possibility do you think that I could turn this tank to a marine...

Obviously I would need new heaters, filters, skimmers etc.....

The specs are:

The Tropiquarium 88 Aquarium Habitat is a complete environment, providing all the requirements to successfully keep fish. This all-glass Aquarium has a 130 litre capacity and is 85 x 37 x 48.5h cm. It comes equipped with the Biolife 55 filter, Tronic 200w heater and dual fluorescent lighting. Finished in attractive black trim, this aquarium allows feeding without opening the tank and has a rear panel, with space for accessories and a knock out plate to add on a Nutramatic Automatic Fish Feeder. Placement on the appropriate Hagen Stand (sold separately) is recommended. Comes with replacement filter media.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this guys.......

If so where do I start......?

IMG_5314.JPG

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
anything is possible my first sw tank was a cheapy kit from walmart for 40 bucks it was only a 10 gallon i dunno how much a 88 liter is though... it was a fowlr with a clown and a coral banded shrimp.

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I have always had F/W tanks..... But would dearly love to have a Marine Tank and this was 'donated' to me today....

Is there a possibility do you think that I could turn this tank to a marine...

Obviously I would need new heaters, filters, skimmers etc.....

The specs are:

The Tropiquarium 88 Aquarium Habitat is a complete environment, providing all the requirements to successfully keep fish. This all-glass Aquarium has a 130 litre capacity and is 85 x 37 x 48.5h cm. It comes equipped with the Biolife 55 filter, Tronic 200w heater and dual fluorescent lighting. Finished in attractive black trim, this aquarium allows feeding without opening the tank and has a rear panel, with space for accessories and a knock out plate to add on a Nutramatic Automatic Fish Feeder. Placement on the appropriate Hagen Stand (sold separately) is recommended. Comes with replacement filter media.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this guys.......

If so where do I start......?
28 Gallon....Yes, for sure it could be converted to a SW tank...As you have already mentioned, buy a new heater, skimmer, some powerheads for circulation ( 700 gph total turn over ), 30lbs live rock, 30lbs of sand....Thats about it for the tank itself....Lighting wise, well, it depends on what you want to do with it....If its just some fish and inverts, then the current lighting with the tank will suffice, its is corals you want aswell, then a lighting upgrade would be needed...

davehan

Salt Water Fanatic
Apr 18, 2008
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
I had a 29 gallon FW tank for 3 years and converted it to a SW. During the initial setup, I very quickly learned that there are many things that can "stick around", even after a very very thourough cleaning. Once all the cleaning was done, it was a very successful tank. After about 2 years, I decided to go bigger, which is the tank I am using now (48 gallons).

From the look of the picture, your tank is brand new so you probably won't have that issue, its just a matter of, like you said, getting the right equipment. I had to add another heater, another power head, a protein skimmer and a new filter system.

Good luck to ya!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store