Suggestions stocking tetras in 20G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Criada

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2008
Cascadia
My co-worker recently gave me his 20 gallon tank with three black neon tetras, a handful of trumpet snails, and some boglogs. I set up the tank using 6 gallons of the old water from his tank, and let it go for a couple weeks. The fish seemed content, so I added some plants, and just last night, three albino glowlight tetras.

I realize the tetras are happier in big groups, so I might go back and get some more glowlights, but I'd like a variety of tetras, and eventually an algae eater of some sort, ideally an albino bristlenose pleco, which I've heard top out at 4-5 inches. But since I'm new at this, (had a tank when I was a kid, but not since) I'm sticking with tetras for a while.

The glowlights are really small-- an inch long compared to the inch-and-a-half black neons, and I don't know if they grow any bigger. Sometimes one of the black neons will chase one of the little glowlights, but it mostly seems to be only when they get in the way. Overall, the black neons seem happier and more active now that the new fish are there. Before, they were hanging out in a group at the surface, not doing anything, now, they're active and all over the place, poking at the gravel and boglogs.

So my question is, how many tetras can I comfortably have in my 20 gallon tank? (I think it's a 20 gallon high) I'd like to have several small groups of different tetras (say, three each of three species) plus an algae eater, but is it better to stick with one large group of a single variety?

At the fish store, I asked about the gorgeous glass bloodfin tetras, and was told they're delicate, so I should wait a couple months. I'm fine with that, but if I do get some, I want to make sure they're in a happy social group in an appropriately stocked tank.
Should I just get a bunch more glowlights?

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
Your glowlights will get as big as the black neons. Often what we see in the local fish store, lfs, are juveniles that are just big enough to get a general idea of what an adult fish will look like. That makes them big enough that the lfs can sell them with very little trouble. The down side is that some very large fish are sold when they are only 1 or 2 inches long. In your case, I would choose to get more of whichever tetra you prefer of the ones you have. In general, tetras will do best in larger groups and while things are not too crowded is the time to choose one kind and focus on it.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Better to have one or two large schools rather that a few very small ones. You could increase your current socking to 6 blacks and 6 or 7 Glowlights for example. Then down the road maybe get a small algae eater like a couple or three Otocinclus or a few shrimp.

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
I agree with the above two posts. You will also get a better visual effect from larger groups of the two types of tetras you already have.

As an alternative to the algea eaters you are considering, I can also suggest a school of Corydora (cories). They are catfish, and don't eat algea but do feed from the bottom. So any food that lands down there and doesn't get snapped up by they Tetra would get snapped up by the cories. You might be best getting 4-6 pygmy cories, as these fish also like to be in a group.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Better to have one or two large schools rather that a few very small ones. You could increase your current socking to 6 blacks and 6 or 7 Glowlights for example. Then down the road maybe get a small algae eater like a couple or three Otocinclus or a few shrimp.
:iagree:

Tetras tend to be happier in schools of six or more, as you noticed with your black neons. The fish will feel more secure and display for you better than if you have several different types in groups of 2-3.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Although your idea would look nice, it's better for the fish to have a group of at least 6. You could have 7 black neons and 7 glowlights, and your albino BN or a clown pleco this way.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Although your idea would look nice, it's better for the fish to have a group of at least 6. You could have 7 black neons and 7 glowlights, and your albino BN or a clown pleco this way.
(not to single you out DP)

two schools of 7 is a little much for a 20 gallon. not that it would overstock the tank, but the middle would be pretty cramped. both tetras have the potential to reach 1½in-2 inches long, and they are pretty full bodied. plus, having a large school of 8-10 will allow for better colors and more activity. in addition it will open up room for some top and bottom dwellers, which will help balance out the tank a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store