culling matters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
Hi guys!

I line breed FM's and many people ask how do I know which ones to keep.
Today I had some time to take some pics of the 2 fish I culled out of about 40! These are the only 2 keepers!
The other fish will have great colors when they mature but I assure these 2 will be much better!!!

Here are the pics...
random shots of the group...7th generation...

Here is the keepers...
note the color intensity and black markings on fins compared to group shots

Pics don't do them justice as my camera is limited compared to DSLR shots.
I do think it is obvious though how these 2 fish stand out from the crowd.
Did you notice the fins are marked differently? Or that the belly/throats are colored much more?
I would like to mention that all these fish shown are from one brood/hatching.
They are also all the same size(within 1/2 cm)
These fish also were spooked by me and the camera. If I was able to take tight shots 20 minutes from now they would have darker colors yet!

Culling like this is the only way to isolate the strongest fish that color up the best. I can't wait for their displays this winter as these fish are just under 1" TL.

Don't forget to join the ACA

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
No. Not yet. :)
These fish have a destination to a friends 4,000g aquarium.
Usually though, yes. I do kill hundreds/thousands of fry every year. I breed lots of fish and do not keep or distribute the fry. Many breeders destroy fry or use them as feeders to other fish.
My fry are fed to this guy...

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
I was hoping to read of them getting fed instead of flushed!
Nice lookin crab..Kinda resembles a pacific red rock.

"The best feeders are the fry you raise"

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fishies!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Hey Mr. Firemouth. Excellent work on those youngsters, but I submit that you may be able to get quite a bit of money for them yet. Pet store firemouths may be cheap, but well bred firemouths of good and markings could fetch some money on aquabid. I bet if you put up some pics of the parents, many people would be willing to take some fry off your hands.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
I have sold fry before for $25 ea. The problem is shipping. I get big hassles by me from the shipping guys about shipping live fish. USPS and FedEx won't do it at all and UPS will only do overnite at around $100 a crack. That means 4 fish would be like $200 plus and I would have to go thru the shipping hassles.

I had a petshop that shipped for me, but to do it I had to give him the $25 per fish. I did not mind, but like many small LFS's he has since gone out of business. The cool thing about him is he had all the shipping materials which made everything a breeze.

Mainly, these days I just try to give them away to locals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store