Help/Advice....Dog seriously Ill

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Has anyone here had their dog contract lyme disease??? I'm absolutely hysterical because my beloved companion, cocker spaniel just turned 13 last week is exhibiting serious symptoms that I am sure are lyme. She's hardly been sick a day in her life. I live in a development where you have to leash walk your dog, so she doesn't go anywhere except right here. My oldest son wanted to take the old girl out for a walk down by the river by his dad's two weeks ago. He just thought she would enjoy the heck out of it, which she did. She hasn't been for a walk like that in 8 or 9 years. I wasn't thinking about the ticks, we live in a heavy deer tick/lyme area of the state. When she came home I did find a deer tick had attached already, but quickly got it off and checked her best I could with her really, really thick coat. Over the next couple of days I pulled 2 engorged deer ticks off of her and proceeded to get paranoid. I've had lyme disease 3 times and was seriously ill from it and one of my sons has had it once. As the days have gone by over the last two weeks i've been wondering if I'm seeing subtly changes or it's in my mind. She been unusually lethargic. Four days ago she began leaving half her dinner. This is a dog who lives for her dinner each day! Yesterday she hardly got up to even drink all day. Barely touched 1/3 of her dinner. This morning her sense of balance is seriously impaired. She can't negotiate the steps. When I pick her up she's like a rag doll. I know it's lyme, it's affecting her neurologically like it did me. I need to get her to the vets tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm hysterical with fear and worry. I've never had a dog with lyme before. Does anyone know if there are good treatments and cures out there for dogs? I can't loose her. She's my baby girl.....

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I think your only recourse is the Vet. It being Sunday I might even eat the cost and take her to a veterinarian ER.I don't think you'll want to wait till Monday.

littlecich

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Taking a 13 year old dog for a run after she hasn't been for one for many years isn't a good idea. At that age, I'd be concerned about heart problems.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Definitely Vet time....so sorry to hear about this. There is an emergency vet site on the web, kind of like a poison control thing for dogs, I'll try to find the link. They may be able to give you better thoughts..

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Taking a 13 year old dog for a run after she hasn't been for one for many years isn't a good idea. At that age, I'd be concerned about heart problems.
It wasn't a run. She walked, we call it a "run" although I don't know why we do. It was a nice leisurely walk through the fields.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Thanks for the links Bob. I'll take a look at them. I just took her temp and she's running a fever too, 104.6. I can't get anyone to pick up at the vets, just get a recording. The ER service they refer you to...I've never heard of.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Maybe a call to the local Humane Soceity or ASPCA can give you a lead...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store