Mystery Snail Problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

misterfish

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2008
I just recently started keeping fish, so I'm not sure if this question would be better suited to the freshwater newbie forum, but my question deals with my black mystery snail, who I just got last week. :) I'm keeping him and my betta fish in a 1.5 gallon aquarium with a whisper filter, and I've been feeding the snail tetramin variety wafers- they're little sinking algae/food wafers for bottom feeders. The fish likes to eat them too sometimes.

Anyway, today I noticed that my snail is exuding/expelling lots of little orangey vaguely oblong things-- they're very small, and I don't know what they are! I don't think they're eggs because they're not all in one sac or floating to the top, but rather one bit seems almost attached to the glass and then lots of individual little speck-things are drifting down. I'm concerned because I don't know if it's just snail poo, or something bad like parasites! If it helps, he seems ok otherwise, and was chugging around the tank just yesterday.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
It very likely sounds like poo. It's really astonishing how much poo they generate.

That said, it's recommended to have 2.5gal/apple snail because of their large bio-load. I have three in my 10g and I'm vacuuming up after them a lot.

misterfish

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2008
Ok, that's good! I was googling "snail poop" and variants thereof for awhile and couldn't find any pics, so I was like aaah. Ok! I didn't know that-- I discussed what I could put in the tank with somebody who apparently is very knowledgeable about fish and she said a snail would be fine. :/ Dang. :/ Ok, I'll look into getting a 2.5 gall! 'Til then I'll just do a complete water change 2x/month instead of 1x-- I'e also been doing weekly 1/4 water changes.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
If you want both the betta and the mystery snail together in the same tank, I'd recommend at least a 5 gallon.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Ok, that's good! I was googling "snail poop" and variants thereof for awhile and couldn't find any pics, so I was like aaah. Ok! I didn't know that-- I discussed what I could put in the tank with somebody who apparently is very knowledgeable about fish and she said a snail would be fine. :/ Dang. :/ Ok, I'll look into getting a 2.5 gall! 'Til then I'll just do a complete water change 2x/month instead of 1x-- I'e also been doing weekly 1/4 water changes.
Eclipse makes a nice 6 gallon kit. For a Betta and a snail it's perfect. The filter and light are in the hood. There is a bio-wheel and cartridge for filtration.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Sounds like poop, FYI, most mystery snails are pomacea bridgesii which lay their eggs in clutches above the water line. Also they are sex specific so need a partner to reproduce. This being said, they can store sperm for months so its possibly ot have a singlet snail lay egg clutches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store