Plexi glass tank cover, will it work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I am getting closer and closer to start my DIY light hood (90w total of screw in CFLs) and wanted to explore my options for the cover. I will feel safer trying to keep the moisture away from the canopy as much as possible.
I have a piece of plexiglass (1/4") that was cut to size and now I could just cut it lengthwise and make the "all-glass-like" cover.
Is it OK to use plexiglass? I know it may bend under the heat.
I know it scratches easily too but it would be one less thing to spend money on since I already have it.
If it was OK what kind of hinges I could get for it? something that would not rust.

does anybody have any experience with it?

Last edited:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Plexiglass can also be flammable/melts. I wouldn't use it if I were you.

Stainless steal hinge will not rust and is safe for water applications.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I tried some plexi over a small tank with a low watt spiral compact. It didn't work very well. It bent too much even though there was little heat. I flipped is every week or so.

I then got a local glass cutting company to cut a new cover. I also had them cut a cover for another tank. I made some simple hinges from all-weather tape from the hardware store. I taped both sides of the glass, and made a V shape (from the tape) on the bottom to keep water from contacting the sticky side. It works like a charm.

Very nice DIY btw Bk828.

Stidham

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
I made some simple hinges from all-weather tape from the hardware store. I taped both sides of the glass, and made a V shape (from the tape) on the bottom to keep water from contacting the sticky side. It works like a charm.

Very nice DIY btw Bk828.
That is a great idea. I've got a tank that, that would work perfectly on. Thanks.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
mszumins,
Lexan could work.

Bk828,
The silicon will be pliable enough for movement, and sticky enough to keep it together?

Stidham,
Bk's idea might actually be better than mine. I think I'll try that next time I need a glass cover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store