Own tank build ???????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Hello all, i'm considering building my own tank out of 20mm glass for the base and 15mm glass for the sides in a cube of 850mm which will hold 480+ litres.
First of all will this work for a marine environment as i have a regal tang and a moorish idol
Also i would like to use LED's which so far are only rated to a depth of 600mm so would this create a deep reef effect or will the lack of light cause me problems?
It will be all build from scratch so any suggestions welcome, it will be placed on a very strong cabinet / brick wall with a home made sump plumbed underneath to include an auto top off.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Quit an undertaking.. That glass will weigh about 50kilos a piece I suspect.

Don't sweat the depth. So future coral doesn't grow at the very bottom... No biggy. You do want to consider how you will reach the bottom to do any work.

Others may think it's too small but I think it will be fine for your guys. Just provide lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide and sneak around in that goes a long ways to making tangs happy.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Thanks kcress, I take it you meant quite?
My reach is 850mm so it wont be that bad when stood on a step i can reach into the back corner of my 350 Trigon now so not too worried.
By thinking some may still say to small do you think "they" would prefer a 150mm deep by 1800mm long for A tang?

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Quit..?? OH! I see. Took me about 4 re-reads. Yes. Quite!

I'm working on a 36" deep tank. I put a piece of tape across my living room and tried to reach over it... Not good. "The foot too far".

As for "they" they would prefer 1.8m for shore.

Tangs generally like to roam over distances. Mine runs the full 12 feet which requires him to make it over two jumps. he does it regularly too. But he also really likes crannies. He will delve into them all. He likes to wedge in and peep out at us. As long as they have good entertainment you can skimp a wee bit on the tank length.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store