Spring Thaw=Flooded basement

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
So guess what I've been doing for 3 and 1/2 hours since I got home? Soaking up water in my flooded basement :angryfire: As much as I love that its warming up, it's warming up too fast and it's raining too much!! The ground is just saturated and now seeping into the basement. Wouldn't be a big deal but the basement is finished, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, bar, pool table, plus a large storage area. So not only did I have to move everything into the center of the basement and dry it off but I also had to take everything out of the storage boxes and dry it off. Also had to get out the carpet cleaner and suck as much of the water as I could out of the carpeted rooms. Fun times, let me tell you. So as for now I have towels damming the water up and I'm switching them out every hour or so and I have 6 fans going plus 2 dehumidifiers. Guess I wont be getting much sleep or finishing my term papers. :angryfire:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
that really sucks.

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
I know what it is like. Before I did some landscaping outside and added some drain tile, I had the same problem you do now. But my basement needed to be remodel anyway. Since I completely remodeled my basement(that were my four aquariums are now) and landscaped three years ago, I haven't had any more problems(knock on wood). But I feel your pain!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
that sucks. recommend adding some sort of sump system, if it happens once, it's bound to happen again.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
Well day number 2 of the fun. Borrowed a shop vac from a friend today, so that is making it a little easier. Looks like we are going to have to put in some drain tiles outside? We already have 2 sumps in the basement, one at either end. They are working overtime and still can't keep up with it :( Now today they are calling for an 80% chance of thunderstorms, YAY, more water to soak in! :headshake2: Okay, enough venting, back to cleaning up!

RuthC

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2013
I am having the same problem! My house is 2 yrs old and has flooded twice in 4 months. It is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store