Lighting options need help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Okay so i have a 28g euro (i.e bow front) tank. It has one 18" Aquaglow bulb rated at 15w. From what ive been reading this doesn't seem liek enough light for plants even low-light ones. (which could explain why mine are not looking so great atm). Even though the lfs guy told me it would be enough. lol Seems i should know by now. So my question is what are my lighting options?

I also have a 10g tank that came with to incandescent bulbs. Regular light bulb types. I bough 2 25w clear lens bulbs. Will these be enough for my 10 or should i make the move to fluorescent? If i do make the move what are my options?

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I am no expert here but you can get the screw in CFLs daylight bulbs at home depot or walmart for your 10g. you should stay away from the incadescent bulbs.

as far as 28g you will be looking at the retrofit of some sort (look at AH supply) or DIY.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Incandescent bulbs put out much less light and way more heat than fluorescent bulbs. They are basically worthless when trying to grow plants. Pop a couple of the daylight CFLs in the sockets and you will see a huge improvement.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
For the record, the pic I posted earlier shows the CFLs you should get.
I just realized that my post could have been confusing.

Remember not to get too crazy with the wattage. i had 2 14w bulbs over my 10 once and it turned into the algae farm. I didnt run CO2 or ferts on that tank either.

RockysDad

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
Check out AHSupply.com for some lighting options. These are DIY kits that can be retrofitted into your existing hoods. Either that or you could buy what you want now days. There are a lot of options...

BTW, what is the length of your tank?

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Check out AHSupply.com for some lighting options. These are DIY kits that can be retrofitted into your existing hoods. Either that or you could buy what you want now days. There are a lot of options...

BTW, what is the length of your tank?
i'm not sure i'll measure it when i get home.

thanks mszumins for tips about the cfl's how many watts do you recommend?

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
wow, somebody is asking me for a recommendation, I feel honored. ;)

I am a newbie myself so dont rely solely on my opinion here.

I had a 10g tank with 2 14w bulbs pictured before and my java moss grew very well under it but after a while hair algea took over and it looked nasty. so 2.8 watts per gallon (wpg) was too much without CO2. I think most people on here suggest to stay around 2wpg for low light plants before you have to start adding CO2.

good thing about these bulbs is that they are inexpensive and come in different "sizes" (9, 14, 19 or 27 watts). you could start out with lower wattage and upgrade as needed and you can still use the excess bulbs around the house :) .

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store