wait wait wait... bacteria colony?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
When my filter gets dirty i unplug it take it to the kitchen sink and thoroughly rinse and scrub everything with HOT water. i have a aquatek filter with 1 carbon thing and 2 sponges both which are rinsed thoroughly with HOT water. Am i making a HUGE mistake?

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Never use tap water to clean your filters contents. Filters are supposed to be dirty, it's cleaning your water.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Sorry but yes that is the wrong thing to do. When you want to clean the filter it is advised to use aquarium water that has just been removed from a water change. Otherwise the tap water will kill the bacteria on the filter.

Do not beat yourself up over it though. We all make mistakes and that is how we learn from them. If it makes you feel any better, I used to do the same thing until I knew better. Now I use tank water.The good news is this kind of bacteria grows so fast that hopefully your rinsing has not had much of an effect on your water.

Marinemom

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you have two filters running on your tank you can clean in hot tap water all you want as long as you only do one a week. You can kill of 50% of the bacteria in your tank and have them recover their numbers by the next day.

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
If you have two filters running on your tank you can clean in hot tap water all you want as long as you only do one a week. You can kill of 50% of the bacteria in your tank and have them recover their numbers by the next day.
But why would you want to do that and risk a mini-cycle? You can get the same cleaning accomplished simply by gently squeezing the bio-media in a bucket of tank water.

But yeah, clean the bio-media (the ones you don't replace) in old tank water so you won't kill off all the beneficial bacteria which might cause mini-cylces and possibly another full cycle of your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store