wet/dry diy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MisterFixIt

AC Members
Jul 24, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
Hey Gang,
Figured it out by myself,20 gal sterilite container from Walmart,eggcrate stuff from Home depot,a tube of 100% silicon caulking.skimmer from ebay,return pump--gen x-- 1587 gal per hour--overflow from ebay--1 inch clear tubing, Home depot,several plumbing fittings,pvc.Some filter batting a little charcol,and wala.

I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.If I can figure out how???
Mr Fix It
:D :D

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Just a tip. My dad and I just made a wet dry out of a 20 gallon long tank.

It's interesting to note that a 5 gallon bucket sits on the rim of a 20 gallon tank (any size that is 12 inches wide) perfectly and gives a few inches of empty space to the bottom.

What we did was put 2 buckets in the 20gallon tank. They are slightly elevated off the bottom of the tank. We cut 2 holes in each bucket (this is easy to do with a small saw), and mounted some egg crate light difusser meterial towards the bottom to hold bio balls, and another piece on the top for some filter pads.

Then we drilled out a hole in the side of the 20 gallon tank for the return pump. drilling glass in a PITA. Out drill glass saw has to be spun at no more than 200rpm's. whats that mean? It means it takes 10 to 15 minutes to drill a hole in a 20 gallon tank.

It's not exactly the prettiest solution but very cheap and very simple.

Guy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store