Banggai Cardinal Breeding - How to?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
I am very interested in breeding Banggai cardinals. How large of a tank would i need for one pair to leave and breed comfortably?
What is the best way to find a pair of banggai cardinals?

any help would be great :D

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
Im not sure for cardinal fish, but with clownfish you can either buy a mated pair, or buy two fish and make sure they are a differnt size and they can become a pair that way.With cardinal fish you will have to buy a mated pair or find a way to sex them. I bought a book on the topic of breeding clownfish. There might be a good book that coudl get you headed in the right direction. About the tank size, I would go with no smaller than 20. The larger the tank the less you have to worry about ammonia and other water problems. Larger margin of error with a bigger tank. Good luck to you and i hope you find what you are looking for.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I was lucky enough to buy my 2 Banggais as a pair from my LFS. Mine have bred in my 182 gal tank with a load of other tankmates but I only managed to raise 1 baby when "dad" spat out the eggs into a hatchery ( I was trying to catch him). I did buy a 34 gal tank purely for the cardinals and a little 4 gal tank for the fry, but as I can't catch "mum & dad" they're staying in the main tank and their baby now shares the tank with a few other tankmates.

I brought Breeder's Guide to Marine Fishes by Wittenrich which was quite informative but I basically raised Titch on cyclopeeze and freshly hatched Artemia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store