Need Advice on Mudskipper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
hi! i had tis fish which im not sure myself it is a mudskipper or juz an ordinary weird fish. i found it when i bought some live shrimps for my tiger oscar. when i open the bag i found tis weird looking fish (my dad says its a mudskipper!) but im not entirely sure coz its small and it has been living with my betta in the same freshwater tank for almost 2 months now! both the betta and the "fish" seem to live peacefully together..they eat the same betta fish flakes..heres are the pic..

pls advice me on what species is it and what are the necessary steps i should take so he lives a happy life :) thanks!

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
i did read that goby sometimes form symbiotic relationships with other species. Some goby species live in symbiosis with burrowing shrimps. so does that explain y it ended up in the same bag as the shrimps i bought frm the lfs? so if it is indeed a goby, could u advice me on what kind of care should i put into tis fish?

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I honestly have no idea. If nobody else replies, try researching gobies on the internet to find the species.

Edit: this look like it? Or does yours have emerald patches?
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/SGoby2.jpg

Edit Edit: No, can't be it, the finnage is off.

Last edited:

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
hey thanks! but yeah fins are definitely off :p could it be possibly the desert goby (Chlamydogobius eremius),
Clinging goby (Sicyopterus micrurus) or Sicyopterus micrurus? all look similar to mine though..anyone care to clarify?

*moderator is it possible for you change the title of my thread to "Advice on goby". thanks.

Last edited:

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Edit: yup, juvie is a perfect match!
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/ashland/a...7_Jun_12_w.jpg

Round goby. Invasive species, which explains how he came to you, but no need to punish the little guy for the deeds of others :) It is freshwater, and according to wikipedia grows from 4-10 inches. If he is a 10 inch guy, you'll need a 40-55 gallon tank when he's fully grown, if he's a 4 incher, just a 20. A google search looking for good sites and a post here on how to take care of them should be helpful. They like mollusks, crustaceans, small fish, eggs, and insect larvae. You'll want carnivore pellets for this guy, in other words. If you're looking for frozen food, krill, daphnia, squid, cyclops, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and fruit flies(not frozen) can all be given to him. I recommend the "freshwater multipack" from Petsmart. All of the mentioned are regularly sold. You can also give him mussels or strips of raw fish sometimes(be careful with this). Your betta will enjoy all of this food too, just be careful because if you feed the goby the Betta will come and overeat if he's not distracted.

Apparently they are very adaptable, so I would just keep the water quality the same:). They probably prefer a PH on the higher side. Just make sure he never gets anywhere near the wild(including into the sewer system).

palgo47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Edit: yup, juvie is a perfect match!
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/ashland/a...7_Jun_12_w.jpg

Round goby. Invasive species, which explains how he came to you, but no need to punish the little guy for the deeds of others :) It is freshwater, and according to wikipedia grows from 4-10 inches. If he is a 10 inch guy, you'll need a 40-55 gallon tank when he's fully grown, if he's a 4 incher, just a 20. A google search looking for good sites and a post here on how to take care of them should be helpful. They like mollusks, crustaceans, small fish, eggs, and insect larvae. You'll want carnivore pellets for this guy, in other words. If you're looking for frozen food, krill, daphnia, squid, cyclops, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and fruit flies(not frozen) can all be given to him. I recommend the "freshwater multipack" from Petsmart. All of the mentioned are regularly sold. You can also give him mussels or strips of raw fish sometimes(be careful with this). Your betta will enjoy all of this food too, just be careful because if you feed the goby the Betta will come and overeat if he's not distracted.

Apparently they are very adaptable, so I would just keep the water quality the same:). They probably prefer a PH on the higher side. Just make sure he never gets anywhere near the wild(including into the sewer system).
Wow!! Thats definately it!!! your a star!! thank you very much!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store