Has anyone used playsand in their aquariums???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I have a friend that used playsand that they bought at home depot and have had his tank running for over a year now. I was wondering if this is a good idea? It has seemed to work for him, and its much cheaper to buy from there, so i may try it. Just wanted to hear some opnions on this?

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
i've heard of people doing this.....you have to watch out for the silcia or something like that don't quote me....i know i've seen this asked before, and you can do it with a certain one.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, it works just fine so long as it isn't contaminated. It may release some residual silicate until is is coated in a bacterial biofilm. After that, there should be no issues.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
^what they said, plus there used to be a brand called southdown that was argonite(vs. silica based sand that you find everywhere else) and was very popular but it appears that southdown has become incredibly hard to find.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
^what they said, plus there used to be a brand called southdown that was argonite(vs. silica based sand that you find everywhere else) and was very popular but it appears that southdown has become incredibly hard to find.

We dont have this in the UK, but i have seen this mentioned quite a few times. Does anybody actually know why this type of sand is so hard to find??

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I have play sand in my 30g. It requires rinsing very well before use, and it has been releasing silicates a good bit, evident by the diatoms, but those are slowing down now. I don't know if the silicates bother the fish, but they make plants struggle a bit, starving them for light I assume? Other than that it's worked fine. Actually I get diatoms in every newly setup tank, but this one seemed a wee bit worse.

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
We dont have this in the UK, but i have seen this mentioned quite a few times. Does anybody actually know why this type of sand is so hard to find??
I spent wendsday driving to all my local stores trying to find southdown, to no avail...
ive also heard that "old castle" is made by the same people, but cant find it either... ill try some farm supply stores this weekend..im starting to wonder if it still exists.
Kinda amazing considering that "playsand" meant for kids contains silica...just look at the MSDS sheet sometime.. i really wouldnt want my kids playing in it...its very similar to asbestos...including a risk of cancer.
youd figure based on that fact alone, aragonite would be alot easier to find...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store