Post Pictures of Your Frags...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I am dying of impatience right now because I ordered all my frag supplies, but it won't come until Wednesday. Which means I can't start fragging until then. Whats even worse is I started studying some more frag techniques and found this awesome looking frag rack, http://www.mag-racks.com/photos.htm
Since I got my paycheck today I decided to indulge myself and buy two of them.

So, in order to stop my buying spree I need a distraction. Feel free to post pictures of your frags and talk about any frag related experiences. Like your first attempt or recommendations, like do you prefer disks, rock rubble, or plugs.

CoraLife

Profesional Idiot
Apr 20, 2008
Too Far from the Ocean
here's a few to hold you off, lol!
DSCF5267.JPG

DSCF5298.JPG

DSCF5271.JPG

DSCF5248.JPG

DSCF5267.JPG DSCF5298.JPG DSCF5271.JPG DSCF5248.JPG

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Ooo pretty frags! Sadly I already visited the petstore and spent again. Extra Money + Coral Hobby = No money xD

Whats that piece in the third picture. I have a piece of live rock that looks like that except without the nifty coral in the middle.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
featherduster, thats a wall hammer coral, the 'rock' on the outside is the skeleton, in that pic it is retracted and looks unhappy, when open it looks much like a frogspawn, only it has hammer like ends to the tenticles.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
featherduster, thats a wall hammer coral, the 'rock' on the outside is the skeleton, in that pic it is retracted and looks unhappy, when open it looks much like a frogspawn, only it has hammer like ends to the tenticles.
Thanks! I never knew that. I haven't ever owned a frogspawn or hammer coral. Although I have been tempted to buy one since I heard they are decent alternative hosts for clownfish.

I guess the "live rock" I have is really a dead hammer coral skeleton. Its an interesting looking piece.

CoraLife

Profesional Idiot
Apr 20, 2008
Too Far from the Ocean
i know some of the frags look unhppy but that was taken just minutes after i addd them to the tank today!

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
i know some of the frags look unhppy but that was taken just minutes after i addd them to the tank today!
lol Don't worry. I am sure we all know that frags are temperamental. Most corals are a sad sight once the light goes out or they are newly introduced. My zoanthids close and my mushrooms shrivel at night. I also got a new toadstool that looks like a giant piece of flesh at night, but very pretty once the lights are on.

P.S.
How did you manage to frag the hammer coral? It looks like the base is solid rock. Is that why they are called hammer coral? Because you have to take a hammer or chisel to frag it?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
they are called a hammer coral because of the hammer shape at the end of their tenticles. on the one that CoraLife posted you can see the purple ends if you look closely.

go to the Euphyllia section of this page, bottom picture on the left is a wall hammer
http://www.all-reef.com/livestockprices_LPS.htm

if you have good lighting, I would highly recommend adding in a Euphyllia sp. coral, branching Frogspawn is the easiest, with torch corals next and I am pretty sure that wall hammers are the hardest to keep, though still moderatly easy.

CoraLife

Profesional Idiot
Apr 20, 2008
Too Far from the Ocean
in order to frag a wall hammer coral you simply cut through the skeleton straight done from the point of interest

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Thank you both for the recommendations and info. I will have to remember to research more later on. If my fragging goes well then I might be able to finally have things to trade for at my reef club.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store