peppered cory fin rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CatPresley3

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Austin
hello!

i have 3 schwartz cory and 2 peppered and since the two peppered weren't making a shoal with the schwartz i decided to buy another peppered....

well, i got the new guy and put him in straight into the tank because i have no quarantine tank :(

about 5 minutes after he'd been in there i noticed he has a cotton like ball (very small) on one of his front fins and a small amount of the fin is missing... there is no blood or ragged edges, just a clean cut on the tip of the fin with the small white spot (100% sure not ick).

i have assumed it is fin rot, but have never seen it in person before so i'm not 100% sure on that. any ideas on what it could be if not fin rot?

we are religious about water quality and changes and i'm hoping his new "better" home will cure what could be fin rot due to poor water quality at the store, but as i said before i have no idea how to really deal with the issue!

what is the best way to help my new guy and protect my old guys?!
if it is fin rot, is it contagious?

is it possible that his fin is just damaged?

thanks for any help!

cat presley

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Cotton ball is fungus which is not contagious as it can happen where wounds or broekn mucous membrane is left untreated. Use Jungle Fungus Eliminator for this and be sure to isolate the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store