Newbie needs HELP! Anemone and fish disappeared and dying, might be in Live Rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ldeffinbaugh

AC Members
Apr 26, 2008
HELP! Anemone and fish disappeared and dying, might be in Live Rock
First Thanks if anyone can help me.

We have had issues recently with our tank. We had 2 anemone(sp?) disappeared in our tank, we thing they went into the live rock and died. Now we have had fish disappear and no traces of em at all. Im afraid that things have died in the live rock and has poisoned the tank. so I have been working on getting the nitrate levels down. While this has been going on every bottom cleaner and tank cleaner has been dying, cept a few snails.

So the question is how , if there is problems within the live rock do we clean out the live rock? Or do we just get some new ones.

Thanks

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
could one of the anemones be hiding in the live rock and eating the fish?? wouldn't explain the nitrates, but it would explan the disappearing fish and the anemone being out of sight.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
What are all your current parameters. Unfortunately if an anemone dies it can kill your tankmates if you don't get it out, let alone if two have died. I'd run some carbon just in case, but it may be worth your while taking your rock out and trying to find them.

alpha123

Return to the sea '08
Mar 18, 2008
Houston
At this point, why don't you move the rock around and look. WEAR GLOVES.

If you see bodies = water problem, if you don't then something might have ate them. Wear gloves.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
How old is your tank, how did you cycle and for how long, what type of anemones and what other tank mates. What size is the tank and what type of lighting do you have along with all water parameters

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
yes i agree, whats your water parms?? my anemone was dying so it took him out straight away! think you should move rock around have look.
run carbon water changes and keep testing water. let us know what you find!!
you could take each piece of rock out and shake it in bucket gently filled with saltwater the only problem is you would lose pods etc that you do want.
how long has your tank been running?
what other fish do you have?

ldeffinbaugh

AC Members
Apr 26, 2008
What are all your current parameters. Unfortunately if an anemone dies it can kill your tankmates if you don't get it out, let alone if two have died. I'd run some carbon just in case, but it may be worth your while taking your rock out and trying to find them.
We have removed the rocks and I think they went inside of them. There has been 2 fishes that disappeared. the others just died. I dont know if I should get rid of the rock and start again, most of them have holes in them to hide which it would be almost impossible to find dead anemones let alone if there is anything hiding in em.

ldeffinbaugh

AC Members
Apr 26, 2008
yes i agree, whats your water parms?? my anemone was dying so it took him out straight away! think you should move rock around have look.
run carbon water changes and keep testing water. let us know what you find!!
you could take each piece of rock out and shake it in bucket gently filled with saltwater the only problem is you would lose pods etc that you do want.
how long has your tank been running?
what other fish do you have?
the nitrates are very high. I have been cleaning 5% of water out each week. The fish i have left do not eat other fish, nor did the others (when the shrimp died a few weeks ago that was the closest to one) the anemones died probally a month and a half ago.

Tank has been up I think since January or December. (I started dealing with the tank since I was laid off so this is all new)

alpha123

Return to the sea '08
Mar 18, 2008
Houston
Don't throw the rock away unless you think it is contaminated with deadly chemical (like copper). Biological imbalance (like high nitrates) can be fixed over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store