Types of Alum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Are all types of alum safe to use with plants in order to kill off any snails? I bought a form of alum called Ammonium Alum USP from a pharmacy. They pharmacist told me that there are no other types of alum but after doing some searching on the internet I found out that there are several forms of it. Is this type safe to use with aquarium plants attached to driftwood?

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Do you mean Aluminum alum? If I am not mistaken alum is the nickname for aluminum sulfate. In a household setting, it is mainly used to make pickles crisp up when you are canning cucumber pickles. It seems to do a real nice job of killing both snails and eggs when used as a soak for new plants.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No, I do mean Ammonium Alum. I was looking up the different forms of alum and apparently there are several forms of alum or aluminum sulfate. The ammonium (like the one that I have), potassium(apparently the most popular) , sodium, etc. I would like to know if the ammonium form is safe to use on planted driftwood?

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Ammonium alum is AlNH4(SO4)2.12H2O, but I have no idea of its safety. The only dips/soaks I have used have been the commercial product Lime-it, which is I believe just Ca(OH)2 of unspecified strength.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I'm holding in my hand a bottle of Alum powder which I use all the time, in fact I have some plants soaking in it right now.
Ingredients: Aluminum Ammonium Sulfate Powder
I've been using it forever and it does a great job on snails(3 hour soak), and their eggs (overnight).
After soaking I rinse well under the tap, then dip in a pail of fresh water and they are ready for the tank.
It's a very mild solution and I use 1 tsp. per gal. of soaking water.
I've talked to people who say they've used 1 tbsp to the gal. but the tsp. has always been effective for me. Never had snails in any of my tanks.
Len

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for the replies.

DJlen, thank you for confirming that this form is safe to use on plants.
I have found out that ammonium alum is in fact Aluminum Ammomium Sulfate, exactly what I have. I am glad that it is safe to use.

How do you use it? Do you just dump it in the tank or dissolve it in some water first? Is there any precautions that I need to take?
Thanks.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Dissolve it in a separate container and put the plants in to soak, then rinse your plants well after treatment. It doesn't go into the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store