"i dig hole"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
I just bought a gold mystery snail, and he was really lively in the store but once I put him in my tank (along with the plants I bought), he dug a little hole in the gravel and half-buried himself. I have yet to see his little face. Will he be okay?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would think so. I would be more worried if it was floating or laying open in the bottom of the tank. Give it a couple of days and see how its doing. Often they will be very active nocturnally especially when first introduced.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
What's the temperature of the tank?

From what I've read they do that, it's just a dormancy thing. I'm sure he'll be up and about shortly enough.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Ditto.

Might just be something settled or grew between the gravel it wants to eat :)

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
What's the temperature of the tank?

From what I've read they do that, it's just a dormancy thing. I'm sure he'll be up and about shortly enough.
The temperature is pretty warm...80-82 degrees. It's really cute--only the top of the shell is showing. I actually watched him dig the hole. He finally found a suitable spot under a plant, and the shoveled his face into the gravel. :]

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Hah. I wish mine would do that :p But I guess they do what they want, including eat my wisteria! :(

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hah. I wish mine would do that :p But I guess they do what they want, including eat my wisteria! :(
Are your snails Pomacea canaliculata? These are plant eating machines. I kept resisting the urge to put them in my pond where lots of plants thrive for fear they'll mow down everything in less than a week.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
As far as I Know they're all brigs. It's not that they mow through my plants or anything, but I do see the occasional eaten-up leaf on my wisteria. It may be incidental; They munch on it to get the algae and it's weak enough that they consume it. I've watched them "eat" my cabomba but it doesn't go down, they just scrape it off. The wisteria may be weak enough that it just breaks.

I've noticed I have some ramshorns, I'm removing most of them as I find them as there seems to be quite a few(only tiny ones right now, probably came in with a plant).

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
it will be fine its probably aclimitising it self give it a day or 2 and it sould be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store