Why does my angelfish change colors?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktkt22

AC Members
Dec 26, 2007
On of the angelfish that I have is silver with a few black stripes. Sometimes he looks like he is just plain silver. Other times his stripes are very dark and the top of his nose/face gets colored dark as well. I've seen this change happen in a really short time (1 minute!) He will go from silver to obviously striped.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Is is a sign of distress or something like that?

I tried to attach/copy a picture for reference. (you can hardly see the stripes in this picture)

fish2.jpg

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
This is quite normal. Pretty well all Cichlids change colors to reflect their mood or stress level. My P. scalare (wild type) can go from faintly banded silver to boldly black striped w/ brown dorsal coloration - these colors are seen when laying/defending eggs.

ktkt22

AC Members
Dec 26, 2007
Thanks! I was thinking it was somewhat normal (and kind of cool!) but do you think that may mean my angelfish is stressed out/scared?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
fish cange there color depending on the light, seroundings colors/brightness, and if there scared, happy etc.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks! I was thinking it was somewhat normal (and kind of cool!) but do you think that may mean my angelfish is stressed out/scared?
yes, they can change colors when stressed..but it does not mean they are stressed.
mine will change colors during the day. part of it is due to the light they are exposed to. other times it may be 'mood' color. stressed, angry or spawning..will also add to the equation.
but it is normal to see them change colors thru the day.

ktkt22

AC Members
Dec 26, 2007
Ahhhh I am relieved :) He does not act stressed in other ways so I think he is ok since the color thing is normal.
Now not only is he cute but he can do tricks too! Haha - maybe one day my friends will be as interested and excited as I am about my fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store