Crested gecko care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I am looking into getting a crested gecko and my question is would a 18x18x18 be big enough for him to live his whole life in or would I be better off getting a different tank? Also I want to plant the tank any suggestions on what plants to put in it and what are some cheap uv lights that I can use I get a little light into my room from out side but I don't know if that will be enough. And what about substrate I am going to use coco fiber because I use that on my pacman and I get it in three packs should I add a bottom layer of fish tank rocks for drainage or is there something else I should do? Any other tips or suggestions I am open to I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for the little guy oh he's really small right now maybe three inches head to tail would this tank be to large for him at the moment? Ill probably have more questions latter on so anything else you can think of that would help out would be greatly appreciated.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I currently use an 18x18x18 right now, but want to upgrade to a 24" tall (I recommend 24" tall, the taller the better!). For the first week or two I'd leave him on paper towels just to monitor pooing and eating. I keep both my cresteds on paper towels still, but they were not eating correctly to begin with (doing better now).

If you are worried about the tank being to big, you can use a smaller tank for a little while. I use a 10 gallon currently for my one, as he had problems gaining weight. I plan to move him to a larger tank once I see he is gaining weight on his own as well.

Do you feed crested gecko diet?

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I haven't got him yet but I do plan to put him on a crested gecko diet once I do. There is a 18x18x24 but its screen and my problem is trying to hold humidity in I cant find the glass 18x18x24 in my area I checked at two different petco's and petsmarts and they didn't have any I will have to keep looking around Thanks for the info

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Have you tried small pet stores or even craigslist? Look for Exo-terra or ZooMed ones, both are decent. I got my 18x18x18 used from a local pet store for around $60 with all sorts of things included, which is the reason I bought it. I do plan to upgrade eventually, especially once I house my 2 together.

I'd look into crested gecko diet from PangeaReptile.com. They offer it in 2-part, which makes it taste a lot better for them. I use the banana flavor, but my friend said that my geckos seem to prefer the passion fruit (he gecko-sat for a week and fed them his stuff). Just a though, and the stuff lasts forever!
Here's a basic care guide if you wanted:
http://www.thereptilefile.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crested_Gecko

Stay away from baby food as well, it isn't the best to feed, even though people claim it is okay. I'd dig out the thread on it but my internet is lagging out pretty bad in class right now. If you search on that link I sent you about baby food you might be able to find, or I can post it later if you'd like.

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I found a 18x18x24 at one the petsmarts nearby so I think I will get that one Ill check out there gecko diet and see how he does with that. Any suggestions as to what kind of fake plants and hides he would use and I keep reading mixed things on uv lighting there a little pricey but I may be able to get one later on down the line

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Cresteds are nocturnal, so they do not require UV lighting, but make sure you are dusting food with calcium, and calcium with d3 2-3 times a week as well. I personally do not use any UVB for my nocturnal reptiles and I haven't had any problems due to it. My only case of MBD was due to a gecko not processing calcium right while being gravid (currently dealing with this issue now--but this is with leo's not cresteds).

I use bendable vines in my cresteds tank, with leaves wrapped around them. A lot of people just go to the dollar store and buy them, which is what I will be doing when I redesign the cage. It is a lot cheaper, and just as easy. These are the best hides to offer, as cresteds are arboreal, so they are not likely to use a hide on the ground. You can however fill a tupperware continer with peat moss and cut a hole in it for the gecko to go in (make sure to keep the peat moss moist). I have found my one gecko loves this and will even sleep in it some nights.

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Ok last question I promise How do they take to being held You cant hold the pacman so I am looking for a pet that you can would you be able to hold them?

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
If you get it younger, they take to it a lot better. Sticky (my male) was purchased around 3 months old. He is pretty chill, and will hang out on my laptop with me. He loves to run and jump, so it isn't much handling but "playing with" almost. I tend to take him out during the day as he isn't as active (since they are nocturnal). If I take him out at night he can be a real spas sometimes. He always craps when I take him out though, no matter what. He saves it up for going on my laptop.

Now my female, Stuck-O is a different story. I got her when she was almost a year old from a reptile expo. She wasn't handled much, so she doesn't tolerate it that well. She tends to bite me (and yes, it does hurt at times) when she has had her share of being out. I handle her now and then, but I tend to avoid handling her as I personally hate being bit.

Just don't grab the tail. I think a tailless crested is an ugly crested, but I hate anything that doesn't have a tail (and is supposed to). I can't even stand regrown tails for leo's. I'm picky when it comes to my animals, they must be perfect when I buy them, and if something happens I freak. I was told my leo might drop her tail due to the stress because of her MBD, I wasn't too thrilled. I'm doing things ever so carefully now to avoid that, since I already have a broken leg to deal with.

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Thank you very much I think its settled I will have to get the little guy hes so dam cute and plus hes a flame and I was thinking of asking if they could do a special order of one for me so the time is perfect for it ill be sure to post pics once I get him in and settled that is if he doesn't have any health issues this pet shop doesn't quite know what they are doing with reptiles since they were mainly a puppy and kitten shop and I didn't want to give them pointers when I didn't even know what I was doing once I have my cresti I will only need a chameleon and python and I will be set since Arizona wont let me get the cool fish I want I have to give up on that one

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Once you get your crested, work with it for awhile before getting anything else. Chameleon's require a lot of work, and time. I still haven't gotten a chameleon. I've been interested, I just need to be able to provide perfect care. There are other excellent reptiles to go with as well. I only have 1 that cannot be handled (tokay gecko). He is far too small currently to even be messed with, but he doesn't hiss/bark/bite that often, so hopefully I can work with him in the future.

Fish are fun though :). I've had herps for over 10 years now, but got into saltwater in the past year. It sure is a great way to blow all your money, but so pretty to look at!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store