How does this sound for a salt setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
30 gallon

AC 200
Power Head (dont know gph, but its running in my 50 right now)
20 lbs LR
3-4 inches of aragonite sand

2 19 watt PC bulbs
double flou strip light (36")

no corals

1-2 clowns
1-2 damsels
2 cleaner shrimp
some hermit crabs and snails (dont know how many)
and 1-2 jawfish (I need to research these, so any info on them would be appreciated)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Clowns are damsels, and are also somewhat aggressive...only a pair of Clowns would fit well in a 30g...

Recommendations from Tullock's Barron's Book:

Mandarin Fish, Spotted Mandarin, Common/Purple Firefish, Purple Dottyback, Neon Wrasse, Coral Goby, Longnose Hawkfish, Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, Bicolor Dwarf Angel, Herald's Dwarf Angel, Bicolor or Canary Blennies...

Clowns and damsels will fight...only a few fish are compatible in such a small tank, and the Mandarins listed above are listed as most appropo...I don't know if Jawfish would work or not. I'm just going by these as the best suggestions made by Tullock!

I would suggest that you purchase Tullock's "Clownfishes and Sea Anemones" and maybe try to emulate the lagoon setup shown in there.

You might be short on LR for such a tank. I think that the recommendation is a lb./gallon...the (soon-to-be) live sand might make up for that, though.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Skip the Mandarin Dragonet Chil, they need a MINIMUM of 125 gallons and a very well established tank (over a year) to have any amount of success in captivity. Agree, two Clowns and two Damsels would start World War 3. Jawfish are good but until they find a little burrow they will dig many trenchs under the rocks which may unsettle them causing them to colapse on the Jaw. As long as you have secure live rock they should be fine. Also they need at least 4 inches of varying grades of aragonite to be happy. Hope this helps and good luck.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
No Dragonets. Check.

I should have mentioned that they definitely need for the LR to be well-established, and may never take to supplemental feedings...in fact, they may die of starvation in the prescence of an overabundance of food. I did not know about the 125 requirement, but that makes sense just from the standpoint of establishing copepod populations...

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
While I will agree that mandarins need a mature tank, I would also like yo say that I keep 1 in a 50 gal reef. I've had it for about 8 or 9 months now and it has grown well. I don't know what the minimum size tank for these guys is, I can say that I've had success in a 50gal with 75 lbs of LR.

Brian

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
In this case, the minimum tank size (20 gallons, Scott W. Michael) for mandarins needs to take a little more into account...like how much LR is in its tank...conceivably you could have one waste away in a 15000 gallon FO tank...but it's good to know a baseline for when a hobbyist has had success with a particular mandarin, so I thank you for that, Brian.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They don't for space requirements, but they need a ton of live rock that has been well-cultured with copepods and the like, since they don't always take to supplemental food...

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
jawfish

Great fish, but escape artists. The tank has to have a tight-fitting lid or you'll find it on the floor.

Overall, your plan looks good.

I might be tempted to add another 10 lbs live rock, but you'll probably be fine.

Damsels can be aggressive, so pick the species carefully (trimaculatus is apparently a really bad choice). My vote is always for getting two juvenile captive-reared clowns and let them become a pair. Dottybacks are also beautiful, appropriate for tank size and available captive-bred. Damsels, clowns and dottybacks will tend to take over a small tank completely, so mixing probably won't work.

The cleaners will be great, and you will get baby shrimp to feed the fish and LR inhabitants. Any two cleaners will make eggs when they are adults.

Forget that anyone mentioned mandarins, they are best in mature tanks with a lot of live rock, as described above.

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
how does 30# of live rock fit in a 30 anyways? is it as heavy as those calcium based rocks that have lots of large holes in them that you find in african cichlid tanks?

I have a good deal on well established LR from my dad's friend. $3/#. So I'm flexible, but I just dont like spending money. I could do 30#

So mandarins are a goal for later on. Im still not sure if you guys agree with a mandarin in a 30 (given its well established).

Im definately looking into Jaw fish cause they are just so cool. They just are. But they are kind expensive. maybe expensive is all relative to you guys.

but here's what I got set up right now:

40lbs aragonite (3 inches)
2 large chunks of base rock (that african cichlid type rock I talked about earlier)
the salt water is mixed up. haven't checked salinity cause my brother and I just put the stuff together tonight.
1 hagen 550 powerhead
1 penguin equivalent
AC200

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store