"i grow stripe"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
I just bought a gold mystery snail (the one in the post “I dig hole,” maybe you saw it?). Anyway, ever since I put him in (JUST 2 DAYS) his shell has grown ¼ of an inch! It’s not gold, though. It is white, like his body. Will it turn yellow? :pikachu: Is everything okay? thanks

Note: sorry if the orange text is hard to read, it was bcs. I copied and pasted this from Microsoft Word and it was black and I am using the dark blue skin of AC, so I tried to pick a color that would show up on all skins. :wall:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would think its just fine. What is the tank temp? Often they will grow rapidly in higher tank temps (above 78) and sometimes the new growth is paler. As they reach full size, the striping can fade to a light color than in the deeper parts of the "whorls" of the shell.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
higher temps=quicker growth, and shorter life span. if atall possible i would consider turning the temp down a couple of degrees.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
because it increases their metabolism, breeding cycle, etc. In turn, this shortens their longevity. I typically keep my apple snail tanks between 72-74, this allows for slower growth and theoretically "thicker" shell growth, a slower laying rate, and longer life.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm lucky to keep my tank at 76-78 here in Texas. Surprisingly, my heater turns on more in summer when the AC is running than in the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store