Looking for a bottom dweller

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I'm looking to get a bottom dweller for my 55g. The head of the fish department in my store suggested a [SIZE=-1]Synodontis eupterus (Featherfin Catfish). Current inhabitants are Tiger Barbs, Buenos Aires Tetras and Bleeding Heart Tetras. From what I've been reading however, Synodontis don't really belong in anything other than a cichlid tank. I'd been wanting to get a Pleco, but the only ones available within an hour drive or so are Commons and I know my tank won't support those beasts for very long. I'd love to hear suggestions for good bottom dwellers or comments on whether a Syno would be ok.
[/SIZE]

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I believe there are a few other species of synos that stay smaller than the eupterus, which might be better suited to a 55. I can't comment on them, as I've never had any of the species. Cories are always an option, and there are some great loach species that will do well in a 55, such as a nice group of Y. sidthimunki, B. striata, Y. morleti, or A. botia.

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
If you really want a pleco other than a "common",get it now. Brazil has stopped the export of many of its species. They may get very expensive. I would suggest something tank raised thou. Wild varieties are for a more experienced person. Wilds can be picky, finicky, parasite ridden, etc.

Specifically, try for a royal. The L27 is/going to be one of the affected species. They would stay small enough for a 55G too.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Tiger barbs and Buenos Aires tetras are fine to be mixed with the Yasuhikotakia morleti and a few other aggressive loach species. Bleeding hearts however will end up having tattered fins with those aggressive loaches.

B. almorhae, Y. sidthimunki and B. striata are fine with all three of those barbs and tetras. So does the Synodontis eupterus provided the tiger barbs and Buenos Aires do not rip their fins first.;)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Why do you think S. eupterus would be a problem? They aren't aggressive toward smaller fish IME. They work well w/cichlids because cichlids don't generally see them as a threat, not because they're aggressive.
If you would prefer a group of smaller fish, botia's or Corydoras cats would be more visible during the day. Syno's are mainly active at night, aside from feeding time.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I was actually looking for something that will get big, but not outgrow the 55g. I really had my heart set on getting a pleco, but all of the ones available in lfs are common and will quickly get too big.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Cories! Lots and lots of cories. But then, I like little fish.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
I am partial to the Royal Farlowella personally, I havent gotten one yet, but Oh I will. They get approx. 8" they are kind of a long slender fish though, love their fins. I have also heard them referred to as "whiptail cats"

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I am partial to the Royal Farlowella personally, I havent gotten one yet, but Oh I will. They get approx. 8" they are kind of a long slender fish though, love their fins. I have also heard them referred to as "whiptail cats"
Whiptail catfish, slender pleco or twig catfish.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
There are usually at least a few suitable pleco's available from online sellers. Just do the research first to make sure they're suitable for your water conditions, and don't forget to take dietary requirements into account.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store