anyone got celestial pearl danios/ galaxy rasboras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i just seen some in a lfs selling as galaxy tetras, out of pity i bought 5 of them couldn't afford more, they were pale and in a dirty tank..
these guys are getting endangered so i hope i have a couple of females..
they were so uncolored u couldn't tell males from females..
i got them home and they hid and only one male came out and wow he is in full color, i've only seen these in pictures but as soon as he got in clean tank his body turned dark gray and his spots got bright white and his red got redder and he has stripes in his tail that i couldn't see at the store, i've been looking at them for a few days,.. i wich i could afford the rest to get them out of that place, he said he had them for over 3 months, cause he is in a town that is not wealthy nor interested in fish let alone $8.99 a piece
that is so small no one could see them,..
if i didn't know what they were i wounldn't have look a second time..
i just read an article about them in practial fish keeping,..
i hope after they get relaxed that they come out so i can see if i really do have a female.. i think i got 2 of them but they might be intimadated males..
i love the micro fish i have ember tetras and love them,.. i hope these are like them,..hardy and quiet..

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
remind the owner that you already bought 5 of them, and would he give you a quantity discount for the rest? that way you get some cool fish for cheap(er), and he clears out a tank that he can use for a higher-selling fish.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
remind the owner that you already bought 5 of them, and would he give you a quantity discount for the rest? that way you get some cool fish for cheap(er), and he clears out a tank that he can use for a higher-selling fish.
tried that already they wont budge, *******s opps! sorry
it ticks me off he will keep them there till they die in hopes to milk out the money, they really don't do much business, nor do they clean their tanks, all ugf that have been set up for 30 years, and probably havent been cleaned since then,.. instead of getting his money back and room for more..

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have 5 pearl danios and paid $7.99 for all five as no one would buy them and store wanted to get rid of them.

Due to their quickness and the fact they like the top of the tank, they seem to be great companions for my Pink Convict. He can't catch them and now tolerates them well in same tank.

Last edited:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I have been looking for some for quite awhile. I really really want some! congrats on the fish! Pics pics!
if you want to pay the price i can buy them if you send the money and ship them to you, your not that far by mail, i'd rather do that than live thinking about them there i have bad dreams of animals in bad conditions, really, i can't help it.. anything to give them a good home..

no pic yet i just got them about 3 hours ago and they are hiding good..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They are being bred, at least locally, I don't think the wild ones are being exported. They breed like danios, I've heard it's not difficult but haven't tried yet. Here they run $7-8.

I have 1 wild caught 1 (lost 4 in a tank plague) & 4 domestically bred. They all stay in the plants a lot of the time. The main difference between the 2 types is the captive bred are more apt to eat from the substrate. All come out for food.

I have a 20g long of tiny fish & love them too. I have them with threadfin rainbows, habrosus corys, shrimp & a few micros(?) rasboras. The threadfins are a bit intimidating with their activity.

I certainly wouldn't risk them with convicts no matter how nice.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
i have been watching them, i have dwarf sag in there and they stay down at the bottom, and run thru them, so i can't see them,.. ha ha
i think i have at least 2 males, and maybe 2 females at least the males keep showing off the the 2 lighter ones, but still can't get them all in the same place,..
i put5 in there and only see 4 at a time, oh well they will have to come out some time.. may be get a few more later.. as for breeding i guess i'm out of luck as there are shrimps in there and snails..
the snails eat all the eggs out of my 90g,.. i just got 1 cherry barb baby in 2 years,.. they eat all the eggs, is the same with my cories only get a few babies,..darn snails but they do take care of the tank if someone dies in there, they are gone by morning..if they are at the bottom..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mine sometimes circle each other fast with fins spread. I had thought 2 male, 3 female but there may be more males based on this showing off. Cuties!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store