Cats and fish tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Does anyone know of a way I can keep my cats out of the fish tanks? My boyfriend (DooSPX) is getting upset with them. Its bad enough they keep him awake at night, get on the counters, and mess up the blinds. Today while I was at work they got up on the counter knocked the top off of the one gallon with Shelly in it and got water all over the place. He was so mad when he got to my house and seen that. I don't know what to do to prevent them from getting up on the counter. I tried the sticky tape and it didn't bother them a bit. They used to get on top of the 65 till we got the hood cover. Any one have any suggestions?

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Well I tried to tell him that but he gets so mad at them. I don't want to have to get rid of them because they are being cats, I want to at least try to train them to stay out of the tanks.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
Squirting mine with a water gun when I'm home, and keeping them out of the fish room when I'm not is the only thing thats worked for me. I have come in and found Sadie sleeping on the big tank, or swatting at the glass so many times I cant count. But I don't have any tanks here small enough for her to knock over. You could try that crackly plastic paper used in gift bags (hobby lobby or the like) mine hate the sound of it when they step on it and run off.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
I am strongly opposed to smacking my cats, thats why i use the squirt gun/bottle, does the same thing and I don't feel bad for hitting my cat/

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
Take your cat to work day???

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
cats as with all animals if you let them disrespect you they will walk all over you and the house,

i have 3 indoor 2 outdoor and all other animals..and kids..
the kids are the hardest ones to train, if they do something you don't want then you tell them in a stern voice,(tone) and make some sort of back up gesture, either a clap or something and repeat every time and don't give up,.. consistancy is the key...

mine are all respectful 99% of them,.. except the old geriactric one she is very stubborn, with clawing up the couch, she does it only to tick me off and waits to be yelled at then gives me a look like go ahead make me, i'm old you know,..

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Unfortunately for me they only do this when I am not at home or am sleeping. I will have to try the crinkly paper or perhaps some aluminum foil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store