Snail base jumpers; But what's that white stuff?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Two of my brigs decided to base-jump off the aquarium ledge last night. Both were very dry feeling this morning, and their operculum's were pulled *way* back into the shell. One has a small chip missing from his shell, not on the leading edge.

After putting them back in the water they *slowly* started to open up. They've now "stalled" at partially open. They respond when I poke them, so that's good. Thing is, there's this white goo coming out of them; a thick slimy substance.

They should be fine, but the white goop is concerning me. Any ideas on what that stuff might be? Both snails have expelled a fair glob of the stuff.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
could it be from a male snail :naughty:

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Hah, to be honest, I think it's something along those lines.

The snails haven't been moving around the tank much, but they're definitely alive. They open/close from time to time...sometimes spewing out some more junk. Last night they moved around at least a bit, as they're not in the same place they were when I went to bed.

They're recovering I guess.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
It was 12hrs max that they were out of water, and they can go for much longer than that right? I think they'll be fine...I just wish they were up and about, I feel bad for them :(

Edit; Would the excess slime be "clumpy" and maintain consistency in the water? I'm not super concerned with what the slime is as long as they're recovering, which they seem to be :p

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Yeah, they can go alot longer than that, but it doesn't mean they won't be effected at all. You are lucky they didn't fracture their shells!

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Oh, I understand that. One actually did get a small puncture. It appears to be at least *weak* along a concentric line, and I think the fall may have worsened that near the shell edge.

A question about that concentric weak spot actually; Is that a born-in improper shell growth, or is that from diet/water? Water quality is perfect, 0 ammonia 0 nitrites <10 nitrates. They get home-made gelatin blocks enriched with calcium as outlined in the sticky. They also get the occasional piece of fresh cucumber or zucchini. Usually they have their share of the spirulina tablets I feed to my ottos before the ottos get there, these are 100% vegetable with spirulina as the first ingredient(Nutrafin brand, made by Hagen). I've also been using Kent's Liquid Calcium because I like to tinker, I've read it works, and for a 10g 1 bottle will last me a very very long time(also, I don't think snails use up calcium as fast as a reef aquarium). pH is ~7.8-8.2(I have a really hard time reading the pH colours, but its a consistent colour it just could be anywhere in that range to my eyes).

Can I or should I attempt to repair a fracture, if I find one on closer inspection?

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Sure can, snails are typically quite cooperative photo subjects when they're out of the water.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Turns out there is a fracture, but the camera's high-focus on small objects makes it look worse than it is.

The line I'm talking about is worst at the shell's leading edge, where it actually is opened up now I believe from the fall. There's some damage along the leading edge but I'm not as concerned about that.

You can't really see the puncture anymore, it looks like it's been repaired a little.

HPIM4008.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store