The dreaded Black Spots on my Yellow Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blinxxpunk182

I LOVE MY AQUARIUM :)
Nov 9, 2007
Rhode Island
i have read about the disease on my tang and know that its something that needs to be addressed right now. i dont have a qt tank large enough for the tang to stay in for a while so i was wondering if i could rid the disease by buying a certain fish (i forgot what it was called) that picks parasites off your fish. i think it was a 6 line wrasse. i know the disease is internal but i know for a fact that it has just started this morning.

blinxxpunk182

Nov 9, 2007
Rhode Island
also would going hypo on my tank will it harm my LR or starfish and snails and would it possibly kill this parasite. plus my clown has a small amount of ick

Last edited:

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
how do you know for a fact it just started this morning? it could have been in there for some time and is just showing outward appearance.

also, what is stopping you from getting a 20g tank/tub and everything?

yes going hypo would probably kill the starfish and snails as well as any other invert. I haven't done much research on the black spots yet. It's coming up in a book of fish diseases. i would not do hypo in the DT, but would get a suitable QT.

it's not a six line, either. they may eat flat worms, but not ich.

blinxxpunk182

Nov 9, 2007
Rhode Island
well i dont mind buying a 20 but i just dont want him to stress out in it. also i tend to stare at him daily and i know that he hasnt had any black dots on him lol. the wrasse i was hoping would pick off the black dots on the tang because the black spot disease in flatworm

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
i don't know what your black dots are, but my tang also had some. they were parasites, and a fresh water dip helped, but only for a day or so. i've heard that cleaner shrimp will take care of them, but i couldn't find any around here. my lfs sold me some medication, totally safe for everything. it is called PraziPro, and it works on a few types of parasites. took about two days, all gone!

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
my yellow tang had black spot....i cured it with FW dips....when i dipped him the first time it came back after a couple of days so i dipped him again and it never came back...i would try this method rather than put any meds in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store