Babies..and more babies....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
So... I've been keeping these four Bolivian Rams for some time now. About 1.5 years if not more. I'm used to them spawning, but I generally let nature take it's course, and over the several spawns haven't had any survivors mature.

A week and a half ago, I noticed a pair had spawned, and there were already free swimming baby rams. I didn't think much of it, and went about my business. a few days later, I noticed tiny fish ( babies) swimming mid level in the tank. I thought it was odd, as rams stay near the bottom, but I noted it and moved on.

A day later I looked in the take and realized that the mid level babies weren't actually rams but White Cloud Minnow babies. I've never had my white clouds spawn. I have about 15 or so white cloud babies. I was kinda shocked. I immediately did a partial but gentle water change.

Note... I still had ram fry on the bottom of the tank. At this point, I figured they would be goners as usual.

Today, I'm checking on the White Cloud fry, and out of no where darts a baby ram, though certainly larger and physically defined. I then found four more.

To be honest.... I had let my tank get over grown with plants and that's what has helped the rams at least survive. Looks like I'll have four or more rams that will make it and about a dozen white clouds....

Time to setup the reserve tank.

Oh... and my other pair of rams spawned again and now I have more wiggler Ram Fry....

When it rains it pours. I'm going to keep a large portion of the white clouds - depending on how many they actually add up to. I'll keep the rams provided the numbers don't get larger. But... anyone in the Charlotte area may be able to get some off of me.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
wow! that is great! I am sure if you are willing to ship, many here would be interested in getting some of the ram babies.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Darn! @$*#$% I wish I was set up to take a few. Still waiting for my Bush Bonus to my buy my bigger tank! I am in Hendersonville NC and LOVE the bolivian rams, but I am newbie and still a little hesitant to tread those waters...........

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pics would be nice...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store