blood parrot and fire mouth have eggs, who is the mom, who is the dad ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I mentioned a few weeks ago my blood parrot and fire mouth were doing the happy dance, I never saw anything so never thought it would amount to anything.... today I noticed the fire mouth was super bright, and well in full bloom!
Both looked to be intent on something and I thought wow, maybe they will acually mate. well they did, but I am not sure who is who in this relationship.
Here is a few pics of the mom, dad ?? and the eggs. This is a huge piecve of driftwood, the eggs are about 6 inches around. maybe you can tell me, who guards the eggs ( male or female, and what sex my fire mouth looks to be.
The fire mouth is guarding the eggs, the blood parrot is above and around the top of the log watching.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
The way your FM looks, it's the male and your BP could be female.
So you think the fire mouth is a male? cool, so you think its the male who watches over the eggs? I always thought it was the female. so if the blood parrot is the female, would she be fertile? ir is it the male who is infertile?

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
oh and it was the blood parrot that has been digging for the last several weeks all over the tank. Just yesterday the parrot fish was digging a new hole on the other side of that log. I am suprised to have seen the eggs on the log since the parrot did nothing but make holes here there and every where.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
So you think the fire mouth is a male? cool, so you think its the male who watches over the eggs? I always thought it was the female. so if the blood parrot is the female, would she be fertile? ir is it the male who is infertile?
In my experience, males and females actually share duties alternating each other in terms of watching the territory and watching and fanning over the eggs. It's hard to say whether your BP and FM is fertile or sterile but I have never heard of both of these fish breeding together before. I have seen the parrots and cons together before but not the FM and parrots. There are some cases that they are fertile and sterile. If the eggs turn white, then the eggs are infertile. They should hatch in 3-4 days depending on the temperature.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
In my experience, males and females actually share duties alternating each other in terms of watching the territory and watching and fanning over the eggs. It's hard to say whether your BP and FM is fertile or sterile but I have never heard of both of these fish breeding together before. I have seen the parrots and cons together before but not the FM and parrots. There are some cases that they are fertile and sterile. If the eggs turn white, then the eggs are infertile. They should hatch in 3-4 days depending on the temperature.
you know I was pretty shocked my self. I see a few that are white, but the rest look ok. I have shut the lights off to keep them calm. what ever happens, its kind of cool since I never heard of these two fish mating before either.
I will keep you all posted. ( and before any one gets nuts on me about breeding them, I would never have guessed. but I am letting nature take its course what ever that may be. :)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i definitely would want to see how they turn out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store