Too much light for Java Moss?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I have finally managed to get hold of some java moss and I've tied some to a wood in my display tank and some to a piece of slate to make a "lawn" in the same tank. All of them are turning brown. I have 8x 40W tube (2 ft each) over a 90 gal tank. Is that too much light for java moss? I also have CO2 and API leaf zone as fert.

I also kept some in a small external tank and there its doing very well. It has griped to a piece of wood within a week and is completely green, despite no water circulation at all and plenty of sunlight (including some direct sunlight).

I can't figure it out. I would like to have the wood in the display tank eventually completely covered but java moss does like my tank it seems. Its really hard to come across java moss here as its banned from importation.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I have finally managed to get hold of some java moss and I've tied some to a wood in my display tank and some to a piece of slate to make a "lawn" in the same tank. All of them are turning brown. I have 8x 40W tube (2 ft each) over a 90 gal tank. Is that too much light for java moss? I also have CO2 and API leaf zone as fert.

I also kept some in a small external tank and there its doing very well. It has griped to a piece of wood within a week and is completely green, despite no water circulation at all and plenty of sunlight (including some direct sunlight).

I can't figure it out. I would like to have the wood in the display tank eventually completely covered but java moss does like my tank it seems. Its really hard to come across java moss here as its banned from importation.
gsp:

From your post I believe that you have 360W for your 90G tank. Although you did not indicate I presume that the bulbs are either 10000K of 6700K.

Based on my experience, IMHO, I do not believe that the lighting is a problem or that a minimal concentration of CO2 is a problem.

I am not familiar with API Leaf Zone but the product description indicates that it's principal constituents are iron and potassium.

My best guess is
that the concentration of micronutrients and other macronutrients is insufficient or
that too much CO2 is present in the tank water.

I do not have a clue with respect to the difference of plant health in the two tanks except for possibly significantly varying water parameters.

TR

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Probably a deficiency in your other nutrients. One fertilizer does not cover all. I prefer dosing dry ferts because it's so cheap. Learn more HERE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store