AquaClear Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
(Not intending to start an opinion war, rather to state my observations)

I picked up a used 55 and found 2 Magnum HOT's and another I later identified as an AC 500. Also included was a Whisper2 and a Whisper3. Everything was well coated in scale and took me a while to clean everything up and see what worked and what didn't.

I was pretty amazed at the water flow from the AC filter and since it was missing some parts (media basket and lid) I did not use it. The only thing wrong with the Whispers were they needed new o-rings at the energizer and one needed a new impeller. For $6.00 in parts I gained 2 new filters. One HOT was bad so I scavenged it for parts for the other which turned out to be a very good filter.

Back to the AC500; Talk about water flow - Holy cow does that thing move water!

After seeing all the user comments and other write ups about the AC line of filters, I decided that I wanted to try it on one of my 55's. I bought an AC70. Fearing that water circulation in the tank wouldn't be sufficient I watched the tank like a hawk. Water circulation seems actually improved over the HOT with it's directed water outflow. If anything like the 70, I have no reserves about using the 500 on my 90 nor about the AC filter line. If anything, I am beginning to think them under-rated for quality of water cleaning. As far as reliance on durability, I won't have an opinion for that for quite a while.

I picked

RichardA

Bettas are not a college frat
May 3, 2008
Oklahoma
I personally think they are one of the very best on the market, have been for years.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
The A/C 500 (now the A/C 110) is an excellent power filter (HOB). I've had mine for several years & it still does a great job. It's a bit pricier now than my original purchase (before the # change) but still a good investment. 'T'

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have 2 500s and a 300 (I don't know the new numbers they have on them). They are running on a 100g (500 and 300) and on a 55g (500) and they have been running non-stop for the last 9 years when I first bought them. I just bought a 150 (30) for my 20g tank.

I am impressed by them every day they still "keep on going". I am dreading replacing any of them.

To be fair, my 10g has a penguin biowheel 100 on it and I like that one too.

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
im not sure what brand i like........i have a AC500,emperor400,magnum350 and a wisper60...

i know i dont like the emeror400.......pain in the ... to get to prime....maybe something wrong with it??

the AC500 i love the water flow but dont like the filter media in it....gona try something new....

the magnum 350 is nice and quite......but i dont like the fact that it dont stir the water surface.....

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Thank you for confirming my opinion on AC Filters. This is not to say others are bad, just that AC has the edge over the others.

I too have a Penguin 100 on my 10G (fry tank) and it blows anything else away, I also have a 150 on my 20 (African).

I think I am going to put AC70 (300) on all my 55's.If I decide to go heavy or messy stocking I will go with the 110's. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store