Small Tanks have a bad name

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I love seeing an arrowana as much as anyone else, in fact probably more than the majority of the public, and I want to house an elegant silver one day. But I feel as if small tanks have an unwarranted bad name. It seems as though whenever there is a person asking for help on what to put in a ten gallon we all tell him to put in either Bettas or fish and inverts. I haven't really found any resources for nano tanks; maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I'm going to start my own tiny fish list here, to help myself and others. So, let's start:

Commonly Seen(at least in what I've seen):
Endler's Livebearers
Fancy Guppies
Siamese Fighting fish
Dwarf Puffers
Neon Tetras
Zebra/Leopard Danios
Glowlight Rasbora
White Mountain Cloud Minnows
Harlequin Rasboras
Panda/Dwarf Cory
Dwarf Gourami
Otos
Bumblebee goby

Not so Common:
Ember Tetras
Microrasboras
Pearly Rasbora
Many, many Killies
Spike-tailed paradise fish (P. dayi)
Peacock gudgeon/goby
Sparkling Gourami
Honey Gourami
Licorice Gourami(thanks Lupin)**
Peaceful Betta
Betta cocina group(?)**
Betta picta
Dwarf croaking gourami
Chocolate gourami**
Samurai gourami**
Male Celebes Halfbeak
Cherry Barbs
Golden Dwarf Barbs
Three-striped Dwarf Cichlid
Nijssen's Dwarf Cichlid**
Apistogramma commbra*
Apistogramma geisleri*
Shelldwellers
Mosquitofish

*Hard to find to extremely rare
**Demanding requirements/difficult to keep

I got tired of looking up Dwarf Cichlids, and I know it's missing 10 billion tetras. This list is not 100%. It is not something that I would put my name or reputation by, it's based on a string of researched information. It is up here for suggestion and correction, as well as to be informative. I have not kept the vast majority of these fish.

Closed per OP request as second page cannot load due to possible server constraints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Good list. Actually, all betta species can fit in a 10g in pairs or trios.:)

Licorice gouramis will have to be categorized under difficult to keep. They need live foods to sustain them well. Chocolate gouramis and samurai gouramis (Sphaerichthys vaillanti) are also included here. You miss the dwarf croaking gourami (Trichopsis vittata) which is different from sparkling gouramis (Trichopsis pumila).

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Didn't know about the Dwarf croaking gourami, only the croaking gourami.

Post Edited, while I still can :).

Wait, chocolate gouramis are only 1.5 inches? I was lied to by somebody....nothing to make you feel like a newbie than a mistake like that. Though I mostly blame the book in front of me that says they are three inches.

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
2 inches, Schizo. The vaillanti is a little bigger at 6-7 cm but all the same, a pair is still fine for a 10g. Sphaerichthys vaillanti are much hardier than the Sphaerichthys osphromenoides. The latter is really too delicate unless the pH is as low as 4-5.:shakehead:

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The first sites I clicked on listed them as 1.5 /grumble. Heh, I'll probably be asking you/everyone else for final conformation on sizes if that's the way it's going to be looking things up.
That's probably how big the site owner got them before they died.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I don't know about zebra danios in a 10gal. I know a lot of people do it, but they are so freakin frenetic I feel like they should have a longer tank for more room to zip around. JMO.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I don't know about zebra danios in a 10gal. I know a lot of people do it, but they are so freakin frenetic I feel like they should have a longer tank for more room to zip around. JMO.
I agree, and would say the same about mosquitofish.

There are quite a few small North American species that are available from online retailers that are suitable for 10 gallon tanks, including:

pygmy sunfish (Everglades, Okeefenokee, and banded)

darters (too many to list, but small species that I have seen for sale include rainbow, swamp, Savannah, tesselated, fantail, greenside, banded, orangethroat, blackbanded, sawcheek, Iowa, and johnny darters)

madtoms (tadpole and margined are the only small species usually available)

certain minnows such as southern red-bellied dace, though most small minnows are too active for a ten gallon

a number of small killifishes in the genera Fundulus, Lucania, and Heterandria

a few oddballs, such as swampfish and sticklebacks

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The Apisto nijsseni are far too agressive for a 10 gallon tank (unless you are keeping 1). Better apistos for a 10 are A. borellii, and if you can find it (and don't mind keeping unattractive fish,) A. wapisana. Agassiziis can sometimes do well in 10s, but need alot of plant cover. Other apistos in a 10 would be a dicey proposition. I'd also like to add badis badis, dicrossus filamentosus, kulhi loaches, Sawba resplendens, and goo obo gudgeons.

btw, my small tank's bad name is Bertrudina

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree: while some dwarf Cichlids may only need space in a 10 in appearance..in reality they are territorial and need space to establish the territory.

so not many Dwarf Cichlids fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store