Rosy barb breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
So I have a 10-shoal of all female rosy barbs . How many males would I need to get them breeding? Will one wear himself out? The tank is a 55G am 0 ni 0 na -10 with a few plants and silica sand small gravel substrate.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'd get 4 males and 6 females to start with but these are very easy to breed. I placed a pair in my pond a few years ago thinking of nothing but the satisfaction of seeing them swim together and months later, I noticed two new rosy barbs at 1.5 inch size swimming around.:)

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
I already have 10 females in a shoal there. I want as few boys as I need to get. I could trade in the females but it seems no one buys them as they arent as "pretty" and i love my females, so I don't want to trade them in.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
No need to trade them in. Get 4 males. Only downside is you need plenty of plants or they'll eat all the eggs quickly as they drop them.

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
with 10 females laying eggs I'm more worried about the boys being worn out. lol

honestly i can sell babies to the lfs... I was more worried about my females being happy, than babies.

If someone has kept a sorority and they were happy, I will forgo getting males.

the tank can be some Greek island or something. ;)

easy e

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
10 females would probably be fine together. If you put one male in there, he would be a lucky dude! I have 3 rosy's, but don't know what sex they are, they are still young.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store