Do I really need an RO unit ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PatV

Registered Member
Dec 11, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm planning a saltwater tank for after x-mas. I would like to go with corals that doesn't require too much light. Do I really need an RO unit ?

Here is what I got from the city water department:

Ph:7.0 to 8.0
Alcalinity: 60
Phosphate: n/a
Nitrite: 0.35 mg/L
Nitrate: 0.35 mg/L
Calcium: 13.0 mg/L
Iodine: n/a
Silicat: n/a
Iron: less than 0.01
Ammonia: n/a

I'm no chemist and I've never been to good in chemistry. What do you think about my tap water ? Is it good ?

Thank you for your help,

Patrick

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No--and I would wonder about drinking it.

Nitrites and Nitrates are all stages of nitrogen decomposition. Ideally, aquariums test nitrites at 0, and nitrates under 20 ppt. Otherwise, the numbers look pretty good. Rather than going with RO, you should be able to run your water through an inline filter marketed to remove nitrites. A bit more than charcoal, but it will pull out many of the nasties if used properly.

You may need to supplement your water with calcium, depending on what else you want in there. You do know that there aren't that many low light corals that do well in the home aquarium? Most low light critters are from deeper waters, and tend to prefer cooler waters in addition to being hard to come by. You might want to look into sponges instead--they have different needs, but don't require lots of light and come in some neat shapes and colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store