cowfish questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
i doubt ill get him but if i do.....i have questions

1.....how big do they get? the one my LFS has is about 2x2 square!!

2....49.99 the right price for them or they making a killing on him?

3....what do they go with? i dont have them listed on my comp. chart

4....what is the min. tank required for them?

thanks
dj

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
i don't know much about them, except that they can get up to 18"!! so it would require a large tank if you're going to keep it a long time. they are toxic, so if they're stressed by a tankmate or just in general they can leak toxin in the water and kill corals/fish, even themselves. i think they're peaceful fish...it's just the size and toxin that are the main drawbacks in my opinion.

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
The internet has them for 20$-40$ so 50$ isnt too bad. Iv read that they should only be housed with more peaceful fish that wont stress them. Iv also heard that they should not be housed with fish that will want to clean them (like pipefish). I dont know about tank size but they get big.

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
i would say 220 gal would be a good tank size. I wouldnt reccommend buying one.

dilbert

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
Yorkshire (UK)
But cowfish are character fish that are worth to keep them on their own.

Maximum size is been said only 16" instead of 20" as often stated. But they will need a big tank as already said.

Some people had them with puffers but some reported problems, too. If any tankmates, then peaceful fish and no cowshish from the same species.

There is a Web page: http://www.cowfishes.com/

Cowfish are great fish. If you have the tank size get one. As long as the fish are compatible. A 120+ would be the tank size you are looking for. Dont let the scare of ostracitoxin get to you. This species rarely releases it. Even so if it survived the stressful shipping process without poisining itself it will probably take a lot to get it to release it.

Like i said, if you have the space and time get one!

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Cowfish are great fish. If you have the tank size get one. As long as the fish are compatible. A 120+ would be the tank size you are looking for. Dont let the scare of ostracitoxin get to you. This species rarely releases it. Even so if it survived the stressful shipping process without poisining itself it will probably take a lot to get it to release it.

Like i said, if you have the space and time get one!
Agreed. I have one. It's the most relaxed fish in the tank and a true personality. It eats from my hand and follows me around the tank when I scrape the glass lookiong for tidbits.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
But cowfish are character fish that are worth to keep them on their own.

Maximum size is been said only 16" instead of 20" as often stated. But they will need a big tank as already said.

Some people had them with puffers but some reported problems, too. If any tankmates, then peaceful fish and no cowshish from the same species.

There is a Web page: http://www.cowfishes.com/
Actually, neither of those lengths are accurate. 18 inches (46cm) as mentioned earlier, is the maximum, empirically-reported size.

In my experience, these fish rarely ever release the toxin. In fact, out of the many dozens I have come in contact with in the shop, only one has ever caused a problem. The same goes for customers who have had them.

Tb86

Registered Member
Jun 29, 2011
Make no mistake,These guys get big... If you have spent any serious time diving or around these guys they grow out to 18 ++ inches, love to eat inverts ect, but super cool fish just gotta keep an eye on them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store