Which guppy is more beautiful? Which guppy is more rare/would fetch a higher price?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which is the most beautiful? (the other question, please answer in a post).

• Total voters

slipstreamv2

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Manhattan, NYC / Northern NJ
I'm looking to breed guppies, more for the fun of it (don't have the space/time/money to invest), but was just curious what people thought. I've narrowed it down to a couple different strains, but I can't really decide. Also, if I can't decide any further, I figured I may as well factor in market prices I could get in my area (or in general, if I ship).

#1 - Blue Moscow (are these from the same drop)?

#2 - German Black Metal Head

#3 - Russian Metal Head

#4 - Black Metal Head

#5 - I think HB Purple Moscow (I mislabled as Purple Moscow in poll)

Last edited:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Guppies breed very easily! They are like rabbits. You need 3-5 females for each male. Females "Packet" sperm. In other words, they can get hit once and hold sperm for up to 4 additional broods. Getting "pre-hit" females is almost a given.

With a 10 gallon tank you can produce many broods. In my 10 gallon I have 8 females and 5 males, but not by choice. I also have a 5.5 gal fry tank with about 25 fry in it. They can produce broods every 5-8 weeks on average.

The problem will be trying to get rid of all the fry. You won't make any real money at it if that is what you are hoping for. You might make enough to buy some fish-food if you're lucky. You might be able to sell the males because of the finnage.

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
i like the moscows best.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
sign up at aquabid and start tracking auctions for these varieties of fish. it shouldn't take too long before you see what people are willing to pay for each type.

slipstreamv2

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Manhattan, NYC / Northern NJ
Thanks for the votes...keep 'em coming.

I'm really torn. I really like #2, but I feel I see a similar color variation often in stores (though of course, it's nowhere near show quality like this one).

#1, the depth of the blues, I just can't get out of my head, especially on the females too.

#5, it seems like a really unique color on a guppy, never seen an all purple like that...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Have not kept guppies in over 25 years--but the Blue Moscow.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I personally like the purple moscows.

However, if I were you, I'd go with the blue moscows. Especially if the females are really that attractive.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Blue Moscow looks great, especially for a female!
Males look great too :) I like it because it's simple and beautiful. The other designs are too "flashy". Like there's too much going on... spots, 3-4 different vibrant colors... I'm a minimalist though. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store