"Lawn" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
I have been growing my anachoris out to cover the back of the tank and i was wondering what i could use as some low light "lawn" plants that i could use to cover the bottom of the tank?

20 gallon high

1 Hampala Barb
3 Checkerboard Barbs
2 Rosy Barbs
1 BN Pleco
1 Black Mystery Snail

18 watt flourescant bulb, dont want to get into CO2, reg. pebbles.

:grinyes:Thanks!:grinyes:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With a 20gal tall would you want 2-3 inch tall "lawn" plants?? I use dwarf sag and dwarf swords as my "lawn plants" in my tank with a few Crypt. Nevilli for a mix. There are some shorter plants but I have no experience with them.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Marsilea species will "live" in low lights but not really do much else. I have tried it with marsilea hirsuta and uh... all they did was barely live. They don't make runners very fast, even with strong lighting. So putting them in a low light tank will put them their growth to either a halt or EXTREMELY slow.

RockysDad

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
Hummm... not enough light for "lawn" plants. They are rather difficult to grow. Try some Crypts and Java moss to start. Plants them around the sides with the rocks and keep the middle open.

BTW, is that a piece of coral on the right sitting on top of the other rock? These aren't the best to keep in a FW tank. They leach too much calcium and makes the water too buffered. Might want to take that out IMO...

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Christmass moss makes a great lawn. I use it in my 20 long and its an 18 watt bulb thats 5 years old lol. I have no other plants in the tank and its spreading great. The Gold fish even likes it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store