2 year old GT suddenly becomes shy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tango374

AC Members
May 1, 2007
I bought this Saum at around 2.5" just under 2 years ago and he's been a great fish. Very active and aggressive. If you got near the tank...he wanted a piece of you. I got good growth out of him with a well kept tank and varied diet measuring him to be about 9" now in total length.

Here's an old vid it took of my daughter messing with him showing how standoffish he was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhU8as3rA74

Over the last 3 months he has lost almost completely all his aggression. Hides almost all day under a curved piece of driftwood. If you get near his tank, either when he IS out or under the dw, he doesn't flare his gills and come after you like he would in the past. He will totally spaz out and cram him self behind plants or rocks in a attempt to get away from you.

I've never owned a fish where in the long run, owner responsiveness declined.

His tank water is cleaned with 30-40% water changes weekly. Water perimeters are checked bi-weekly and recorded. There has been no serious fluctuation in water perimeters my entire time keeping this fish. PH, Nitrites, Nitrates, ammonia, GH and KH are the same now (and have always been) the same as the day I brought him home.

I did go through a bought of Hexamita with him. "Long transparent waste strings", loss of appetite and major loss of coloration. I treated his tank three times with prazipro (only because I had some left), waited two weeks and then treated with clout. After around 1.5 weeks his waste became more average colored, appetite became alot better (though it is still nowhere near what it was prior) and his coloration became more vibrant again (once again not quite as much as before being sick). He became his same old self in terms of aggression, and I'd thought that with some time coloration and appetite will be 100%. A few months go by and that is when the shyness leading to where I am now began.
However, the symptoms he had before are not there.
He now only eats one out of every 2 or 3 offerings. When he does...he hits it pretty hard.

The more I type about his past sickness, the more I feel that this is part of his issue.

Do you think that he still might have a touch of Hexamita?
Think I should bring back treating with Clout?

Sorry everyone for the HUGE post.
I appreciate it if you made it this far.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I went through a similar situation with an Oscar, and my father with a Blackbelt. In my Oscar's case, he had developed fungus and I treated it aggressively. After the treatment he was never the same, always hid. After a year of him running for his life at any sign of people, I gave him to a friend with a pond. He still has issues, and hides in a slate cave system unless you have food, in which case he'll dart out and back under. My father's Blackbelt on the other hand, was treated several times for Ich ( he never listens about the feeder fish ), and became a bit skittish for awhile, but eventually got it's rambunctious personality back. It probably depends on your individual fish, though I must say that I've never encountered a Saum that wasn't outgoing. Hopefully he just needs some time. While he may look okay, the effects of the disease and treatment may still be affecting him, and he may be hiding because he knows he's sick. You said his stool color was still not back to normal. If that's the case after several months I would suggest continuing with medication, though perhaps not with Clout. I have not used this, though it claims to treat Hexamita. Does it contain Metronidazole? This is what I would look for in whatever you treat with. Good luck, that's a great looking Terror you have.

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
I get a kick out of the video..my big male gt was just the same during breeding. He even took a chunk of skin from the back of my hand one time. No joke.
It is a little odd seeing a single male acting so aggressive like that. I wonder if he was getting frisky with a tank mate trying to breed.
Anyways, I experienced exactly what you have described after I introduced live gold feeders. Oh I quit that real quick.
I treated with metronizadole for the hith, and Ultra cure PX from gel-tek..wich you mix with their favorite food for internal parasites. FYI...1 inch chunks of night crawler are easy to inject with the medication; or you can make little goo balls with flake food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store