invert tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
okay well i am thinking of setting up my 20 gallon tank and putting some cherry shrimp and some type of snails (i dont know which type any good ones?) Also i dont know what type of gravel i should use...should i just use normal gravel? The tank well have around 1 watt per a gal so i am going to use low lighting plants for the shrimp. :help: im addicted now

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Gravel is just fine, I would recommend a dark substrate as it really makes the cherries color up nicely. Pomacea bridgesii ("mystery"apple snails) are a great choice as they come in a wide range of colors and are sex specific. You could plant it with some moss, java fern, and anubias and it could be really lovely!

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
welcome to the world of shrimp and snails. i think jinz has covered what you asked. if theres any thing else you would like to know all you have to do is ask. we were all new to it at 1 point..

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
I imagine that your wallet is going to be more empty now. ;)

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
yep

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i thought apple snails added a lot of bioload to the tank...i would rather have a lighter bioload...also i heard they can get up to the size of an apple...i think that would throw off my tank some lol

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
apple snails need about 2.5g per snail. They have a large bioload for an invert as they graze constantly and poop constantly. I think if you added one to your tank, its "fun" level would outweigh the bioload factors. I really enjoy mine, they surf in the tank and have all sorts of amusing antics.

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
hmm do they come in different colors other then gold? also how many should i get? i think my tank is either a 20 gallon or a 10 gallon i dont know...

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
If its a 10g, i would only get 1. If its a 20g, that is up to you. If you don't want to deal with reproduction (they lay their eggs outside the waterline in clusters that are very easy to remove) stick with one, if you don't mind picking out egg clutches, 2 or 3.
They come in a VERY wide range of colors from ivory, gold, blue, jade, magenta striped, purple striped, burgundy striped, chestnut (a gold with brown stripes), and on and on. Most commonly you will find the solids at pet stores. There are many hobbyists (myself included) that breed and sell the snails with permits. Often fish store snails are not fed properly so their shells are not in the best health and they are older.

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
hmmm what about ramshells or what are there names...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store