A Stalled Fishless Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
I realize there are no magical numbers as to how long a fishless cycle should take to complete. However, usually it takes anywhere from four to six weeks and possibily up to 2 months. I'm into 6 weeks of performing a fishless cycle and the ammonia has never dropped and still no nitrIte. I believe the cycle is stuck. My PH is 7.6. My Ammonia has also been maintained at 2-4ppm, never dropping below 2ppm. My NitrIte is still zero after six weeks. There is some aeration and temp is ~82 to 84 degrees F. (It has dropped as low as 78 in the past/bad heater). I did turn off my tank light due to algae (Green flaky kind due to too much light).

What can I do to get this cycling unstuck? (Or am I stuck?)

Should I add some plants?

Should I add some API PH Down to add phosphate to the water?

Is it just a matter of waiting longer because all tanks will eventually cycle?

Thanks
Chris

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Yes, I don't need the light.

I'm using Amquel Plus as my dechlorinator (I believe is still good/It does not smell)

As for ammonia I'm using Goodwin's Pure Ammonia. When you shake the bottle it does not foam at all so, I assume there are no addatives mixed in.

Also using an API master test kit and the solutions were bottled in 07. Still should be good. I have three years until time of replacement.

I hope this help.

Thanks

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Yes, I don't need the light to cycle.

I am using Aquel Plus as my dechlorinator. It is still good. It does not smell.

As far as ammonia, I'm using Goodwin's Pure Ammonia. When you shake the bottle it does not foam at all so, I assume it has no addatives mixed in.

Test kit is API and the solutions were bottled in 07. Still should be good.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
From your reply all seems well. I will see if I can borrow some tank water, or substrate from my neighbor. Other then that nothing else I can do, huh? Have you ever heard of using the API PH Down to add phosphate to the water?

Thanks

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
From your reply all seems well. I will see if I can borrow some tank water, or substrate from my neighbor. Other then that nothing else I can do, huh? Have you ever heard of using the API PH Down to add phosphate to the water?

Thanks
Firstly, I would like to know if you have nitrAtes? If you have nitrAtes, then likely you have nitrItes and they're being consumed........

Secondly, test your tap water so that you have a baseline.

I've had false readings before when using the Amquel plus.....I stopped using it for that one reason. I know that others say it's okay but I had enough "stuff" going on at the time without having to interpret what might be false indications.

I suggest that you do a water change, as much as 100%, and this time use a product that has dechlorinator only. You can get TOPFIN dechlorinator at any Petsmart. It will not interfere with your readings.

This time add about 3 ppm of ammonia instead of the full 5 ppm and wait and see if you can read nitrItes in a day or two, as well as nitrAtes.

Doing the water change won't affect your bacteria but will get rid of the Amquel II.

edit: added link to TPFIN dechlorinator
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752208

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you don't need high temp to get bacteria to grow you should be fine 78-82.
I am not sure where you would get false readings from an additive..a dechlorinator only may itself be problematic if it is not designed to deal with chloramine.
I have seen false positive readings with those dechlorinators that work with chloramine..but it really is NOT a false positve..the ammonia test we commonly use test for total ammonia..(total ammonia = NH3+NH4)

the dechlorinators that work on chloramine work by breaking the chlorine ammonia bond ..neutralize the chlorine and convert NH3 to NH4 a(ammonium= less toxic).

I agree check to see if you have nitrates..it is possible you missed the nitrite tio nitrate stage but if you have nitrates this may indicate you already have both bacteria we desire.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store