3 fish died in 5 weeks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
My 1st discus died about 5 1/2 weeks ago suddenly. He did have a reddish area underneath his fins. 2 weeks ago another dies. He became very shy, starting hiding and didn't eat for a week prior. Today my favorite discus died. The last couple days he also became shy, hid and didn't eat much. But neither had any outward signs of disease. I quarantined both and treated with Pimafix and Melafix. Didn't save them.

I do have an algae problem (mostly just on plants). I change the water 6 times a week. Been using a multi vitamin the past 4 weeks and put in an air pump a month ago. 2 weeks ago I started using Keta-Peat Nuggets as well. I don't get why they're dieing! Any advice? Should I use a UV sterilizer?

My tank
temp 86
ph 7.4

ammonia o ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm
gh 120
kh 60 mg

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
A UV sterilizer couldn't hurt (the cleaner the water the better) but I'm curious about -0- nitrates. What size tank are we talking? Were all fish purchased at the same time from the same place? Are there other tank inhabitants? How long was tank established before the discus arrived? Is the tank heavily planted? What type of lighting? Sorry for so many ques. at one time but discus can be a bit sensitive to a number of different things. 'T'

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are you feeding live worms still?

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
55g tank. 1 and 3rd fish purchased from one location. 2nd from another. Just have 3 discus left, no other fish. Tank was established for 4 months. Lightly planted. I dont feed live food.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Are you treating the algae in the tank with any products? Have you seen what color the discus poop is? Are you using CO2 in the tank?

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I tried using some algae control products that are suppose to be safe. Didnt see poop. Dont use co2. I did start the 6/week water changes after my first fish died.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
By chance were you using Excel to try to eradicate the algae? And owning discus you should regularly make sure they have dark brown feces. They usually "go" right after feeding. Light colored feces is an internal parasite indicator even when the fish "seems" to still be doing fine outwardly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store