filter for a brackish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about setting up a brackish tank for the rearing of japonica larvae, and was wondering about filtration.. I've never done a brackish setup before, so this would be first attempt.

I was thinking, being small little guys, I'd want to just go with a sponge filter, but I worry that that might not be enough filtration.

Any input as to brackish friendly filters.. or rather, brackish UNfriendly filters?

Thanks!

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
an established sponge filter will be plenty. personally i'd just go with a couple air stones so the fry don't have anything to get sucked into.

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
sponge filters are about the most gentle filters i can think of... on what Danyal said, the airstone would be a safe way to get some circulation in the tank. Either way, frequent water changes are likely in your future.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
When raising fry i usually use a stone too,until their of 1inch of size i dont add filtration i just do water changes.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Thanks!

Started the setup this morning, and I'm picking up more supplies once I get out of work!

Thanks tons!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store