breeding kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pleco2009

AC Members
May 12, 2008
VA
i have three small kribs all about 1 1/4 in
i have them in a 15 right now but plan to move them to a 20 for breeding once they pair off
the tank will be at 79
the filter will either be a marienland 400 or 280 and a sponge filter
plants will be floating horn wort and potted plants like amazon sword
i will change 75% of the water every week and remove all uneaten food one hour after feeding
the tank mates will be a few skunk cories and 3 otto cats

i have another 15 set up now for quarantine but will turn it into a nursery tank once i get my new 29 set up for quarantine
i plan to hatch brine shrimp both for the fry and for the parents and also feed blood worms

my questions are:
is the set up large enough/ enough filtration and proper temp and tank mates and plants
what substrate will be the best(currently plan to leave bare)
what decor do i need/should have

finally are their any other small Cichlids that are easy to breed

and finally i have hard water and will this have any significant impacts on my plan

all suggestions are appreciated
:help:

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Well, how long is your 15 gallon tank? If it's a normal 15, you'll have room for one pair of kribs once they pair up, and the otos may be OK, but the cories will be hounded constantly if the pair spawns.

I'd suggest the pair, try the otos, and maybe nothing else (although a few zebra danios or other fash, tough fish, might work).

Kribs can be really unfriendly tankmates if they pair up in a small tank.

Eric

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
a 15 is not large enough for a pair of kribs. the tank isnt big enough for any 4 inch fish.

leave the tank barebottom, with the krids as the only inhabitants.

put in a couple of broken terra cotta pots and perhaps some fake plants.

rams, angels, and cons are pretty easy to breed

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
Don't put any other fish in the tank but a male and a female. They usually form pairs at the lfs so try to spot this going on first before you buy. They are easy to determine sex and will readily pair up if you introduce two strangers. They have been listed to mate for life.
Small clay pots are suggested along with rock caves and some plants. They like to paste their eggs on the ceiling of small caves or clay pots.
If you have to clean uneaten food then you are over feeding. A good food to entice breeding is small cut up pieces of nightcrawler.

And they breed comfortably in ten gallon tanks. They don't get four inches long either. They like to dig and sift so going bare bottom with the tank is a bad idea.

Gluongirl

Strange, yet charmed
Nov 29, 2004
sweden
I would not put any Cory's in a 20L w/ breeding Kribs. They will almost certainly come to harm. In fact, in such a small tank I have seen the male turn on and attack the female once guarding fry. They seem to do better in a larger tank with plenty of overhead dither "threats" so they feel both male and female are needed to watch over fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store