Closed Loop Pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Preferred pump for closed loop system (230 gal).

• Total voters

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
I used this mechanism (poll) to ultimately decide on the type of tank (Glass versus Acrylic). A decision I am very grateful I made.

My new question in with regard to pump selection for the closed loop system. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Any particular brand(s) to avoid, based on observed poor performance is most valuable.

All things being equal, the more quiet the better since this pump will not be in the basement, rather directly underneath the display tank in the cabinet.

Regards

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ocean runners are a great pump and the Mag range to name a couple...The power of the pump will depend on the speed you want as there is not much head to take into account.

**Edited..Was orig refering to a return pump...ammended to reflect closed loop pump..

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Thanks Scape, but I am solely referring to the closed loop pump in this case, so my understanding is Head is not a consideration (worry). Right!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Thats true...Although, there is a little head loss if, like in my old closed loop, i had the pipe coming from the exit of the pump and then down pipework to eject the water into different area's of the tank...So, sometimes head loss can play a bit of a part...Every 90, 45 valve etc etc connected to the exit side of the pump all contribute to head loss...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would think you'd only need a pressure-rated pump if A) you are using small plumbing (less then 1" or 3/4") or B) if you're using something that requires high flow at high pressure, like eductors. If you're using 1" PVC for your loop, you shouldn't have a huge amount of loss from the plumbing. Of course, make an effort to make things as direct as possible without all sorts of turns and bends. How much flow are you looking for, what size plumbing are you using, and how many outlets will the CL have?

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
4 - 1" outlets for the CL

I am planning for an Ocean's Motion 4-way combined with a Ocean's Motion Revolution (version 14) at each individual outlet.

I am trying to contact Ocean's Support to determine if there is a minimal recommended flow for these devices in combination.

Otherwise, i am not certain what type of flow I want and suspect my needs will vary depending on my inhabitants. Nevertheless, I'd rather have to scale back flow via a valve network than not have enough to begin with.

Tank Design.jpg

Last edited:

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
We have a controvesy! LOL

I think I will go with the Velocity series by Blue Line, they are heralded, by blueline that is, as the quietest pumps in their class, measured at 30 db?

If anyone knows of another line of pumps which has the reputation for being the quietest please let me know.

I am surprised there is not an article or two regarding this matter somewhere in the hobby, but I have yet to uncover such a study. if anyone knows of such an article please direct me accordingly.

As always than you for your input and opinions. AC is by far my favorite, essentially my only, aquaria board.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
The only problem with the Velocity pumps is they only come with a 3/4" male NPT threaded inlet and outlet. My CL are 1" would it crete a mjor issue to use a reducer pre/post pump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store