CO2: Tank Distribution options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finz

AC Members
Apr 28, 2008
Houston TX
Real Name
bill roberts
Active, passive, Reactor, Diffuser.... Yikes...

Naa, not intimidating nor even confusing.. just wonder what makes the most sense to implement. I've seen a number of threads here and seems opinions are all over the board - and that's good from a diversity perspective.

PASSIVE:
I saw a CO2 Reactor on-line (thx xaosGK):
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11111/product.web

which appears to be nothing more than a difusser (as per the description).
Since it's easy enough to diffuse with an air(wood)stone, this looks like overkill.

ACTIVE:
Now this looks kinda interesting... Seems you can use a powered device to push CO2 through the tank.

I see that users feed CO2 though the intake of their filter. I assume one might PASSIVELY feed CO2 into the tank using an airstone positioned next to the filter intake. But, does not the CO2 affect the media in the filter? The bacteria?

Fair enough to suggest that, in reasonable quantities, CO2 might have a minimal effect but realistically, I've dropped serious cash on a CO2 system and want a stellar garden to show for it. So, am hoping to push as much CO2 in the tank as required (what, 30 ppm eh)...

I understand that depending on the consumption (ie, # of plants, type of plants, tank size, etc) that the amount of CO2 needed will vary... which means, the amount of concentrated CO2 pushed though a filer will vary.

As it stands, I have 75 gallon tank nicey populated with folage now am but expecting BIG things in the coming months. I've a nice clay based substrate and am pushing 260 watts of 10k lighting into it (giving me almost 3.5 wpg).

That said, does it make sense to pass concentrated CO2 through the filter media?

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
This isn't the best picture, but the only one I have available while I'm at work. I run my co2 into a hole I cut in my filter inlet, no airstone, just bubbles directly into the intake and gets chopped up. Nearly 100% diffusion, hardly ever see bubbles come out the other side.

Some people suggest this may cause damage to the filter in the long run, but that's really only speculation, I've never encountered anyone that has actually had a problem. I run this on a 45g tank. One of these days I'm going to upgrade to a 125g tank. At that time, I'll have to push so much co2 that A)I don't think the filter will be enough to dissolve it, B)it would cause the filter to make a lot of noise due to the number of bubbles, and C)it would be so much co2 that I do think it would damage the filter.

When that day comes, my plan is to build a static mixer(inline reactor). People have very good experience with these, and I prefer to keep as much equipment out of my tank as possible. The powerhead reactor is generally placed inside the tank and therefore I wouldn't use it.

finz

AC Members
Apr 28, 2008
Houston TX
Real Name
bill roberts
(Not sure why but can't see the picture.)

Yeah, the thought of passing a lot of gas though the filter also occured to me as a possible problem... I didn't see the potential of damaging the filter but it makes sense.

I'll probably forgo the 'hole' option for now and instead implement the airstone idea (close to inlet).

But, still am nervous regards poisoning the bacteria in the filter.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have been pushing co2 through an Eheim Pro II 2026 for over 5 years now. I would not consider any other brand of canister for this job. I tend to run a leaner co2 mix than many, but it suffices for me.

The filter is not at all noisey. It has not done any damage to the filter in any way- so far. As for the bacteria, there really isnt that much needed in a heavily planted co2 added tank as the plants are going to consume most of the ammonia. The filter's primary job is to remove wastes more than biological filtration.

I use a FILTER-MAX #3 by ATI to prefilter the Eeheim and my co2 tubing is slid down inside it between the sponge and the plastic skeleton.

I chose this method because I did not have room outside the tank for a powered reactor and did not want to have an internal one taking up space and needing to be hidden. However, a powered reactor is the most effective way to get the max level of co2 into the water.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Finz:

I have nowhere near the experience as other folks who have posted in this thread.

I have a wet/dry and DIY CO2 generation.

I placed the terminus of the discharge tube from the generation bottle half way into the line on suction side of the pump.

I have only been doing this for a couple of months but so far so good.

TR

finz

AC Members
Apr 28, 2008
Houston TX
Real Name
bill roberts
The filter's primary job is to remove wastes more than biological filtration.

I use a FILTER-MAX #3 by ATI to prefilter the Eeheim and my co2 tubing is slid down inside it between the sponge and the plastic skeleton.
How are you eliminating waste if the prefilter prevents it from entering the filter?

Fordtrannyman

Sharing Experience and Failures!
Apr 27, 2008
So. Cal.

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
i'm still a bit of newbie when it comes to co2. I run pressurized co2 into a glass diffuser just below one of my filter outlets. it distributes it superbly. I was recommended this because i use fluval filters and these filters are very noisy when gas is trapped in them. Air lock i think it was called.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
How are you eliminating waste if the prefilter prevents it from entering the filter?
A prefilter is a coarse sponge. Its job is to trap larger waste. Finer wastes will pass through a coarse sponge. Further, any of the trapped larger waste that breaks down into smaller particles ends up inside the filter as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store