trying to breed kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wildman117

AC Members
May 13, 2008
D-M-V
right now i have three kribs that are all 1 3/4 inches long and are in a 15 right now
one has longer fins than the other two, does that mean it is a male, and one of the others has a wound where it got bit, again does this mean i have two males
i have a 20 long that i plan to use to breed them i plan on using either my marineland 280 or 400 and a sponge filter
i plan on keeping it at 79F and do 10 gallon water changes every day and take out uneaten food after an hour
i would like to not use substrate, is this okay?
is growing out brine shrimp as a main food okay with garden worms from the compost pile with no chemicals
i have java moss for the floor and hornwort for floating plants

will this set up work and how quick can i expect to see any results

thanks to all

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Can you get any pictures of your kribs? They're really rather easy to sex - males have flowing dorsal with color up top of the dorsal fin all the way to the point (the girls have no color at the end of the dorsal find and it's more squarish on the end not pointy). Females tend to have redder bellies and rounder shape whereas males can have red bellies but they're longer and thinner in shape.

Just because two kribs are fighting does not mean anything about the sex - sometimes the males are aggressors, but I've found it's usually the female that is the nastier of the sexes with kribs.

Personally, I'd add some gravel. That many water changes will not be necessary unless you have a ton of fry in there - not that it will hurt anything, but do you really want to do that many?

Eric

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
There are many pics on the net showing males and females. Most females have a real purple belly compared to males. The males tail is more pointed, females is more rounded.

They require a finer substrate than regular gravel. They like to use substrate to narrow the opening of their caves when nesting.
I'm not trying to slam the guy that suggested bare bottom, but this is not a very good or healthy way about it. They are more than likely to just fight to the death with that much open space. Plus it will be a mess trying to get the uneaten food out of the tank. They are shy fish and you are just going to keep them more stressed out.

You cannot just stick them in a tank and force them to breed. You must make them as comfortable as possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store