minimum tank area for two breeding teritories for varius cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
this is entirely theoretical at the moment as I am only dreaming about the 100+ gallon tank, but what is the space required to have two breeding pairs of angels, rams, kribs, apistos, or let me know if there is any other small cichlid that has a small enough territory to be able to keep two pairs.

part of the reason I want to have an idea about this is I may just keep one pair of the mentioned fish and I do not want to crowd them if there is anything else in the tank.

and just because some one says that you can keep something in a cirtain size doesn't mean you are providing the best for the fish

any input would be apreciated as I want to provide the best for what ever i may keep in my dream tank/s

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
You can probably easily have 2 breeding pairs of apistos or shellies in a 20 or 30gal tank. Maybe the rams as well... kribs can get pretty nasty, so a longer tank might be needed. I'm not sure how large the angels need to be to breed, but I don't think a small tank will work.

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
A tank over 100 gallons would be plenty of space for a couple breeding pairs of any of the fish you mentioned. I think you could honestly house more than a couple breeding pairs of those in a 55 gallon. Especially apistos and rams. Just have plenty of hiding places via driftwood plants and flower pots.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
i realize that a lot of the apisto's tend to live in harems with one male and many females but can any one give the space your pair of angels have chased every thing out of in your large comunity tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store